Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presume it's possible to widen out the stance of a front end through the use of custom made or after market upper and lower control arms ... looking for an estimated 1.5" on each side for a total of three inches of added over all width.

Can someone give me a little run down on what it would take to do it and what aspects and characteristics up front would be impacted by doing something like this?

The project in question in our 54 F100 truck ... Some may recall it's subframed with a 78 Trans Am front clip so that's the style of front end we are dealing with.

If this is something that simply ought not be done to a street car ... I'm perfectly willing to hear that as well.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Widen the crossmember and use wider spacing on the frame rails. If the frame rails are already set, then substantial gusseting is going to be needed along with crossmember reinforcement.

A cheapie way would be to use a different offset wheel or even a spacer. That would not be the best from a driveability standpoint, and frankly it would probably suck in the handling department.

Any other way is going to cost $$$$$$$$$$$$ in custom stuff.

Greg

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GregP ... Yeap ...

The subframe job is complete ... that won't be changing.

As a general rule I don't let the cost of something stop me if it is something I think is meaningful to the project

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 11/1/06 6:34am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Give one of the Hot Rod shops a call. They should be able to help you factual non opinonated suggestions.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've chased this issue a little bit here and there ... Hard to find anyone who seems to know much about it ...

Had a buddy a few years back talking about his "circle track" cars and saying they could swap some big car A arms into these front ends to widen them, however they were "helping" them handle the countiuous "left hand turn" ...

Obviously doing things we would never do to a normal street car. It did get me thinking though.

However, in my case if I could spread the front track on the Effie it might be a "good thing" ... as long as it wouldn't have an adverse effect on performance and safety. I do have room under the fenders for it to happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 11/1/06 8:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Just a thought monstermech
If you don't already have fender flairs to push the air around the front of the front tire. You might need some so the tires don't cause drag, how ever so slight...
I realy think that a wider tire with a wide rim with an offset to the desired width.. would be the easyest and best...
tim

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheels could certainly change things ... I'll be running rather wide tires all the way around for sure. With the front (as it is now) I could run some pretty "Deep Dish" wheels.

The crux of the issue is the rear is wider than the front ... and I'd like to run the exact same size (and offset) wheels and tires all the way around the truck

Another option might be to narrow the rear.

I am getting back into the swing on this project and all the systems type things are functional so I'm getting down to "fit and finish."

Any remaining "structural issues" need to be finalized and dealt with before I continue on into final finished assembly, paint and interior.

If anything needs a "structural solution" as opposed to some superficial "cosmetic solution" ... I need to resolve that now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 11/1/06 9:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
681 Posts
when i raced circle track we used to cut the lower control arms and lengthen them to what we wanted.
another guy i know used cut the crossmember under the engine and add 2" there this would be eiser if the subframe is not in the vehicle yet.
make sure you can weld everything good though.
good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am no expert on the GM chassis and Camaro snout, but I have seen this one many times. This should be an easy fix, and you pretty much mentioned it previously. All the circle track guys have been doing this for quite a while. You need the Impala or full size control arms. I believe the lowers are exaclty 1.5 inches longer than the Camaro /Firebird counterparts. Generally, the upper control arm mount is removed and replaced with a fabricated mount after they install the jacking bolt, and reinforcing plates. The upper control arm is usually replaced with an aftermarket type tubular unit like an AFCO. That could be an option, or you could just swap the uppers also. Don't let the circle track thing bother you here because you are not doing any of the other "tricks" to make the car turn left.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The truck has four wheel power disc brakes ... as it currently sits.

Trans Am fronts ... Lincoln rear ... master cylinder/power booster in the factory position under the cab.

All the brakes are 100% functional including the Park Brake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts