Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did a search and read quite a bit of tire and wheels threads.

So, my question, 1964 galaxie I want the widest 15" tire/ wheel on yhe rear I can fit with factory suspension except I have air shocks. Will a 15x8 or 15x10 fit with 4.5 offset?

On the front, same thing with no rubbing of fenders or ball joints. open to all suggestions.

I don't want a super tall tire but one that look proportional and fill the wheel well nicely. I want some good looking meats on there, make sense?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
HMMM...after that burnout you're wanting to buy new tires :eek:???
Before I changed my rear end I had 245/60/R15 Cooper Cobras on 8" American Racing wheels w/3.5 backspace and had a heck of a time getting them on and off. On the front I have 215/70/R15 Cooper Cobras on 7" American Racing wheels w/3.25 backspace and they rub a bit on my inner fender lip when I hit a bump while turning the wheel. There may be some who will argue this point BUT that is the biggest I would use ;).

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
they rub a bit on my inner fender lip when I hit a bump while turning the wheel. There may be some who will argue this point BUT that is the biggest I would use ;).[/QUOTE]

Just put new BFG 255-60-15 on a 8" Cragar on the back of my 64 2dr fb galaxie(but I had to let all the air out of the tires to get them on) 3.5" backspace, and I put 225-60-15 on a 7" Cragar on the front.Only bad thing is you can't rotate the tires.They sure look good though.....It seems someone told me that the biggest tire for the back of a 64 would be 295-50-15 and there is 26 5/8" clearance in the rear. I haven't had any rubbing trouble so far on the 225-60-15's in the front,knock on wood..... hope this helps....
Red

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I ran 275-60-15 on the back of my old 64 Galaxie most of the time. I had plenty of space in the wheel well. On the front I juggled different tire sizes to get the look I wanted, but I always ended up rubbing the frame behind the wheels on lock to lock turns. But then I also had 69 disc brake front spindles on there and that may have thrown it off a bit. Even with a 205 tire it would rub.

For a while I had a set of 15x9.5 wide steel rims that I ran 295-50-15 tires on for the back. Those were very close to the leaf springs - within an inch or so - but never rubbed. Either way, with the 275-60 or 295-50 on the rear you'd have to jack up the entire back of the car, unbolt the shocks, and let the suspension drop if you wanted to get the tires in & out of there easily.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
they rub a bit on my inner fender lip when I hit a bump while turning the wheel. There may be some who will argue this point BUT that is the biggest I would use ;).
Just put new BFG 255-60-15 on a 8" Cragar on the back of my 64 2dr fb galaxie(but I had to let all the air out of the tires to get them on) 3.5" backspace, and I put 225-60-15 on a 7" Cragar on the front.Only bad thing is you can't rotate the tires.They sure look good though.....It seems someone told me that the biggest tire for the back of a 64 would be 295-50-15 and there is 26 5/8" clearance in the rear. I haven't had any rubbing trouble so far on the 225-60-15's in the front,knock on wood..... hope this helps....
Red[/QUOTE]

The 225/60/15 makes sense because they are shorter :).
With the 245/60/15 I had drum brakes and I had to squeeze them in from the back. I didn't have to deflate them though :D.
I'm running 295/55/15 MT ET Streets on the back now, but I had the rearend narrowed 2" w/ disc brakes and am running 1/2" spacers to bring them back out. It has 2" wheel studs so the tire on drivers side is a 'bear to get on, had to grind 1/4" off the inside of the fender lip. I also have to have at least 90 lbs of air in my shocks and have to raise the rear end of the car a bunch and put it on jack stands. I could probably unbolt the shocks but they are air shocks. If I would cut 1/4" off my studs they would go right on.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I,ve been playing with the tire/wheel combo on my 64 for 4 or 5 years now. This is what I have found to work so far.

I've run a 275/60/15 on an 8" rim with 4 1/2" backspace.
A 28"x 10.5" slick on the 8" rim with 4.5" backspace but you need a spacer.
Here's a shot with the 1/4" spacer. Suprisingly it never rubbed ever. I used a 1/2" spacer befor I switched to a 10" rim.

The tire I run on it now is a 28"x 12" M/T S/R radial. Its on a 15 x 10 Pro Star wheel with a 5 1/2" backspace. I had to use a 1/4" spacer to bring it out to perfect.
This was all with the standard hub brake. I now have disc brakes on the rear which brings the mating surface out 1/4" so I dont have to use the spacer.
Here's a pic as it is at the moment.

I have the 2" comp wheel studs which make fitting a little more difficult.
You will have to undo the shocks and lift one side at a time to fit these bigger tires but thats no biggie.

On the front I've run up to a 235/60/15 with no rubbing. (Manual steering). I currently have the M/T S/R 26" x 6" tire which seems to work well. I use a 26" front runner for drags.

I do have an extra leaf in the rear and custom heavy duty coils in front.

Please feel free to ask if you would like any more info.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
fat64,
You have really done your homework. Your clearance is down to the knats a$$. What's your secret to mounting those monsters :)?
Great burnout, which tires were you using?

·
Registered
580 Posts
fat64,
You have really done your homework. Your clearance is down to the knats a$$. What's your secret to mounting those monsters :)?
Great burnout, which tires were you using?
They go on quite easily with both shocks undone and lifted on one side only.

Those tires WERE a near new pair of 275/60 BF Goodrichs. They were mostly gone after that.
I guess thats what happens when mates come round at lunchtime for a few beers.
Here's them being "finished off". lol.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
fat64,
Those 275/60 BFGs didn't stand a chance with a 521 and a few
'Fosters' ;)
Danv, nice stills...how many 'Fosters' did it take to convince him to destroy his tires :).

·
Registered
580 Posts
These ones stood even less of a chance. lol!

As you can see........

Strangely enough you cant buy Fosters here where I live. Maybe its export only?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts