Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I took my car out the other day it left the garage running great.....my friend wanted a ride to i took him around the block and launched it off the brake and when i stopped at the stop sign and took off it didnt have much power and made a weird noise like and exhaust leak....the oil pressure was fine and it hadnt even gotten up to temp yet.....i pulled it in the garage opened the hood and it would sit there and idle like normal but when i reved it, it would make that noise? sounds jus like my ol truck when it had a leak at the exhaust manifold... but this one is comin out of the carb................................i checked the lash and most were out but not by to far except #1, cant remember which cylinder but i stuck a .025 and it slipped right in.....could a bent push rod be whats wrong??

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You probably have a burnt valve my friend..... Sorry...
Do a compression check, then readjust the valves then do another...

FE

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hehehehehe... MotorHEAD said "Blown/Sucked" HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You might have fould a plug check their.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
stuck/bent valve maybe?

The loose one was probably the culprit...if I had to guess, I'd say it was an exhaust valve and either the valve or pushrod was bent, which caused extra clearance. When an exh. valve doesn't open all the way the mixture has to go somewhere...and it usually goes back up the carb.

could also be a burned intake valve but that's usually easy to find with a compression gauge and/or leakdown tester. If it was me, I'd pull the rockers off the cylinder that had the loose valve, put an old compression gauge adapter hose (with the valve core removed) and put air pressure to that cylinder. You'll find your leak real quick that way. Air out the carb, leaky/bent intake valve. Air out tail pipe, bent/leaky exh valve. Air (a lot of it...a little is normal) out of the block means time to take it apart and if you get air in the radiator you have a busted head gasket or a crack somewhere.

Compressed air is neat. Lots of things you can do with it....and if you're like me and work in a shop for a living, you figure out ways to use it to make a job a little easier. I even made an adapter from some PVC once...connected it to the inlet of my turbo (SVO Mustang) and pressurize the IC, pipes, and intake. You think vacuum leaks are a bitch to find...wait til you have a boost leak! They cause all sorts of problems.....from a very rich condition, low boost, even a scattered compressor on the turbo itself...from overspinning trying to keep the boost up. I still have that PVC stuff. Maybe someday I'll buy/build another turbo car just so I can use the test kit.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I say bent valve!! Air coming back through the carb when accelerating.An intake valve in your case OR bent intake pushrod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts