Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving for Wildwood about 7-8am tomorrow. Three hour ride from North Jersey. Hope to register and get on the boardwalk before the noon cut off.

If I don't make it by noon, there's always Saturday.

Don't know yet if they're going to block off the local streets and do a "classics only" cruise night on Saturday.

Weather's looking good for Friday and Saturday. Water's probably a wee bit nippy to do a little splashing in the surf.

First Wildwood show with the new engine and interior.

Will post pics.............

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's amazing what a new motor and interior can do for an old car. People that used to look at the car and just glance at the motor and the interior now stay and gawk.

I went for a walk along the boardwalk to look at the other cars, and when I came back, my wife informed me that the judges had selected my car as one of the "top 40" out of roughly 300 cars.

So, Saturday night, all the top 40 winners went to the Wildwood Convention Center, and, amongst ourselves, voted for the best car in the show, which, there was no way I could win. Never, ever, never.

A beautiful 58 Corvette rightly won. (I voted for a pristine, unrestored, in a garage for 20 years, Fairmont Futura. The car was stunning.)

Will post pics ASAP.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know what went wrong with this website, but it refuses to allow an upload from my camera, which it allowed last week with no problem.

I'm going to try putting my pictures on my hard drive, and uploading from there.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice Galaxie! Were there anymore there?
No other Galaxies. Many lookers even commented, where are the Galaxies?

I wasn't happy that the folks running the show have dropped the "must be 25 years old" requirements.

In May, that's not a big issue, but in September, based on past year's number of cars, in order to get on the boardwalk, I'll have to line up 6AM for an 8AM boarding and STILL may not make it.

(Many take advantage of traffic lights and cut into line. Also, "buddies" sometimes allow their friends to cut in. This may not hurt the cars near the front, but the guys in the back get screwed.)

Also, there was no night cruise, but that may be normal for the May show.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm from Paramus now, but Hudson County originally.

Raced at Englishtown frequently in the early 60's with a 57 BelAir.

Spent far too many Sundays at the track with a bunch of gear heads (like me) from West New York, North Bergen, Cliffside Park, etc.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Terrible news.

Sept autoshow on the Wildwood, NJ, Boardwalk has been cancelled. The town and the organizers could not reach an agreement.

So ends a roughly 20 year tradition, at least for me.

I'm glad I made the May show as it looks like that may be the last one.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great news!

The town of Wildwood will be running the September autoshow, which means (I hope) that it goes back to being an old car show once again.

Now, if I can just get the weatherman to cooperate.....

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great show on the boardwalk last weekend. Actually saw three 64 Galaxies plus mine, two XL hardtops, and one additional XL convert. Also saw a 68 XL hardtop, factory 428 4 speed. More Galaxies than Impalas.

No rain Friday or Saturday, but a nasty breeze on Saturday, which kept the crowds off the beach and on the boardwalk looking at the cars. Perfect.

Didn't win best of anything, but that's fine. I didn't deserve to win. Too many nicer cars.

Car next to me, an early 70 442, got a best 40, and deserved it. Car looked brand new.

But, honest comment, my car got more looks from the crowd than the 442.

I think the real car nuts went for the cherry 442, while the common folk went nuts for the turquoise convert.

Just my opinion.

Took very few pictures. Couldn't get clear shots because of the crowd.

I'll post them on Photoshop when I get my pc back from repair. (Using my wife's tablet right now.)

Boardwalk was almost full. About four/five hundred cars. Nice little parade exiting the boardwalk.

Biggest kick, taking the hard turn to exit the boardwalk (where most people line up), and getting applause.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Too bad we didn't connect just to say Hi.

Unfortunately, we didn't do the street cruise.

From 5:30 to 7 pm is designated our "drinks on the motel balcony" time period.

Maybe next year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts