Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Mustang Coupe with and I6 and auto transmission that I'm wanting to put a V8 and manual transmission in it. I've found someone that has done a massive upgrade to their 69 Fastback and has removed nearly everything mechanical from it and has the old parts for sale. It has a complete 351W (starter, compressor, alternator, engine mounts, headers, full dual exhaust, etc...), 4Speed Manual Transmission, driveshaft, rear end w/leaf springs, full power steering components (pump, actuator, tie rods, spindles, disk brakes, etc...), power brakes (master cylinder, booster, etc..), and there's a little more that I can't remember... I'm wondering if there's any major differences between these two years and models that would prevent me from bolting these parts onto my 66 coupe. I don't mind doing minor modifications but major mods will be a little difficult to swing for my project.

Thanks in advance !
-Cliff

·
Registered
207 Posts
Some stuff will fit and some won't, Eng/trans will but exhaust probably won't. Make sure and get the frame adapters for the V-8. Diff is wider and the spring mounts are going to also be wider. But you can get them narrowed. But you have to do the axles also.
Booster, doubt it. Just not enough room in a 66. Disc brake system will work but the master cyl/dist block could be a little tricky. Driveshft will have to be shortened. 69 was a much bigger car then the 66 was. Even bigger then the 67-68. There is swap kits for 351W into 66s but the exhaust system can be tricky, 69 headers won't work. Auto to a stick can be a head scratcher on Z-bar and the clutch system.
Personally, a 347 stroker and C-4 will be a better system with a new 8" or 9" rearend to fit the 66. 8" is lighter and unless you're using drag slicks and 4spd, they're just fine. Get the disc brake spindle system and 4spd, but not much else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts