Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if a 17x7 with 5'' of backspacing will work on the front of a 69 galaxie? ive read about people having issues with the wheels hitting either the upper ball joints or the control arms. but i dont know exactly what specs their wheels were. also if it will not fit does anyone know what the minimum backspacing i need is for a 7'' wide wheel?

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
On my '70, I use 15x8 with a 4" backspace, and they are a perfect fit. In other words, any wheel with a 4" backspace will do the job.
In my opinion, 5" is too much and will hit the ball joints. 4'' leaves about 3/8" clearance or so if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Ken you could use 5" BS and have 3/8" left over if your tires were 50 mm skinnier than Dan's. Or you could use a spacer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i was thinking of throwing a 1'' spacer on there if needed

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ken you could use 5" BS and have 3/8" left over if your tires were 50 mm skinnier than Dan's. Or you could use a spacer.
5" BS without a spacer is going to look really, really stupid.

Like the guys who run the S197 Mustang wheels on Explorers and Fox Mustangs. It just looks really, really dumb. They're usually polished or chrome faux-billet junk, to boot.

A 1" spacer needs to be a bolt-on type, bolts to the factory lugs with a separate set of lugs for the wheels. And I wouldn't run something like that without a hub centering pilot, but that's me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts