Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 351W distribtor with advance lockout and bronze gear that I would like to use on my 466. Can I just put a 460 cam gear on my 351W distributor and use it or do I have to buy a 351C/460 distributor? Is the shaft size or housing different? Thanks, KENT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kent,
I think the only difference is the gears. I put a duraspark in my cleveland and I think it was out of a windsor, I had to use my old gear off the cleveland because they were different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No way will the 351W distributor fit into the 460. For one its longer than the 460 distributor and two the oil pump shaft hole is much smaller on the windsor. So you can change gears all you want, they will not physically interchange.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kent,

I tried it last night and it looks like it will work. I used a distributor that came out of a cleveland and it seemed to fit the windsor and the 460 the same way. The gears seem to be the only difference

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chad for checking. Are the distributors the same length in the shaft? Does the 460 gear go higher up or farther down on the shaft compared to a 351C or 351W gear on their respective shafts? Are the shafts the same size where the gear presses on?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have a windsor gear or I could tell you the heigth difference. The shaft is the same size. I would say that the windsor gear sits up higher or is a different diameter than the cleveland. If you have your distributor out you could take it to a parts store and look at the difference in the gears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts