Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
A regular 428 balancer will fit as the balancers are neutral balanced. A SCJ has a different crank spacer that has a "hatchet" on it to to help balance it for the heaver rods. 410 and 428's have different flex plates or flywheels with counter weights on them to help balance them, but the balancers are interchangable between all FE's. There are other things to check like pulleys and the timing marks and pointers.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you want to do that? 428 SCJ is externally balanced.... 332 is the first year FE motor along with the 352 and 361.
I don't want to change it , The timing marks are like 3/4 of an inch from TDC ,She starts good (hot or cold), has plenty of POWER .Should I even bother with it ?

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
I'll give it a shot

1. You'd want to do it because a early small balancers were very ineffective and more susceptible to spinning

2. You don't NEED to do it, but if you care to, you'd need the correct bottom pulley, it can be tough to find the right one for a late balancer depending on what you have for accessories

3. There is NO issues using ANY FE balancer. ALL FE balancers fit ALL FEs, and ALL are neutral balance.

4. 428 cranks are external balance, but all except SCJ use just the flywheel, the SCJ uses a different spacer behind the balancer, but refer to rule 3......they are all neutral balance, every one, all the time

5. If you have a 428 balancer that is worth something as a CJ or SCJ date code and design, sell it for a concours guy and go get the pulley off any mid 70's 360 or 390, as well as a matching lower pulley. However, I do NOT think it will match your timing mark

6. I see no benefit of doing this on an otherwise well running motor :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give it a shot

1. You'd want to do it because a early small balancers were very ineffective and more susceptible to spinning

2. You don't NEED to do it, but if you care to, you'd need the correct bottom pulley, it can be tough to find the right one for a late balancer depending on what you have for accessories

3. There is NO issues using ANY FE balancer. ALL FE balancers fit ALL FEs, and ALL are neutral balance.

4. 428 cranks are external balance, but all except SCJ use just the flywheel, the SCJ uses a different spacer behind the balancer, but refer to rule 3......they are all neutral balance, every one, all the time

5. If you have a 428 balancer that is worth something as a CJ or SCJ date code and design, sell it for a concours guy and go get the pulley off any mid 70's 360 or 390, as well as a matching lower pulley. However, I do NOT think it will match your timing mark

6. I see no benefit of doing this on an otherwise well running motor :)
I think I'm gona leave well enough ALONE... THANKS!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts