Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to throw out my 200ci straight 6 and put in a 460ci "cobra jet" engine. I was wondering if it would fit in my 1966 mustang coupe. thanks

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I believe all you have to do is go to a coil over front suspension and remove the shock towers. Hope that did not sound to simple

I have seen 460`s in pinto`s, but they were all out full framed and caged race cars.

I suppose it depends on how bad you want to do it and how deep your pocket book is.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Saw an article in one of the Ford magazines at the grocery store this afternoon where they put a pinto/mustang II front end und a 64 Fairlane. Would be about the same for the 65-66 Mustang. $5.00 is cheap when you are seeking info on how to do it or can it be done verses getting the torch out and screwing up the car.

Sorry, don't remember the name of the magazine.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Knowledge is power, spend the 5, and with most articles they list sponsors and companys that assisted, so there would be even more info if you follwed up with some of the sources of the story to get even more info.

The guy I bought my mustang from in Coos bay Oregon was putting a mustangII front end setup in a 68CJ mustang, there is definetly some fabrication and welding involved but that is about as much as I know about the swap

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
It's the April issue of Mustangs & Fords. I't a fairly good article. I have done this swap & it's not too bad, need a good welder. BTW I have built 2 Pinto's with 460's with no tube chassis & have one going away tomorrow. It's not as hard as you think.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Pinto? 460? Please tell me more!!!

Oh Viper... go to www.rcmotorsports.net open up their catalog and go to the last pages. You will see what you nee to do to your car to begin to fit that engine in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich Long on 3/14/02 7:26pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Fist you need a Pinto, a 460, & a shoehorn! Anyway, you want to use a C-4. You'll need to make your own mounts & headers. Plus trim all the sheet metal from the engine bay as needed. This sets the engine way forward so be careful. Shouldn't have to beat the firewall. Man are they fun but hard to drive, just point & shoot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts