Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be a simple question for you mustang people. I have a 5.0 litre T-5 from a Mustang I'm trying to sell and got this question. Will it fit my 289 from 1969?
I don't know, but I'm sure some of you know the answer.

I am in a kind of hurry here...

Thanx
Doc

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
In a word, "yes", it will fit, as in fit inside the tranny tunnel. The other items which you need to be concerned about fitting are the proper bellhousing, flywheel, a custom crossmember for the T-5, the driveshaft which usually requires about a 1" shortening, and where in the tranny tunnel the shifter will come out of. This is particulary critical if you have a bench seat. I suggest checking out the FM link below for lots of good, detailed information, and checking out www.moderndriveline.com. Moderndriveline has a really nice custom clutch cable which operates very smoothly. I would suggest going to a modern bellhousing, which may need some modification to fit the 289. Also, by just doing a "C4 to T5" search, you'll find other very useful articles. Good luck.

http://66.96.130.106/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index.shtml

·
Registered
242 Posts
Also remeber that the flywheel from a 5.0 won't work behind the 289, The easiest way is to get one from a standard shift 351w.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Not sure what you mean by getting a flywheel from a 351 as they have a 28 oz balance the same as the old 289-302s.Also to get technical on ya theres no such thing as a 69 289,they ceased production in 68.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is what he was saying, he will need a flywheel with the 28 oz. balance. Ford sells new flywheels with a bolt on weight so you can make it either 50 oz. or 28 oz. if you want.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx guys.

This answered my buyers questions, and more.
And of course, it was a 68'. My fault. Sorry.

Doc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The easy way is to get an adapter that fits the T5 to the 289 bell housing. Then just bolt it in. You will need the T5 cross member and trans mount. The shift lever fits right into the existing shifter hole in the floor boards. My T5 conversion did not need a shortened drive shaft, so check yours out before cutting..

·
Registered
508 Posts
As somebody who just really finished my 6 month long conversion project, let me save you lots of anguish and frustration. My route was a tad expensive, but I'm now very happy with it. I got:
Used '88 5.0 bellhousing -- $75
Ford Racing 28 oz flywheel -- $240
Centerforce II Clutch from late model 5.0 -- $250
T5 Z-Spec Tranny from Summit (with a 10% off coupon) -- $1000
Ron Morris Clutch Cable conversion -- $250
Windsor-Fox crossmember (not happy with this part, the one from Ron Morris is much better, but it works) -- $110
Late model clutch fork (very hard to find) -- $30
'67 Mustang clutch pedal (the hardest thing to find) -- $70
Mac Shifter (it's ok, but I'm thinking about getting a Ripper Pro) -- $130
Carbon Fiber and brushed aluminum shifter knob (paid way too much for this) -- $60
And since I butchered up my exhaust getting my C4 out, I also got:
Hooker Comp Headers -- $140
Flowmaster mandrel bent 2.5" pipes -- $100
Exhaust shop bill (re-used my 2 chamber flowmasters) -- $120
2 dual rolled edge exhaust tips -- $60

It cost a lot of money, but it's WAY more fun to drive that a C4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts