Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im going to be building a 347 and im going to run a t5 and do you guys think it will hold up very long in not going to be racing it its just a driver but it will go to the track from time to time its a wc t5 from a 91 mustang

jeff

·
Registered
275 Posts
Chances are really good it will NOT hold up. Depends on how you drive and traction.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you get into lots of hard launches, you iwll tear it up. The 347 will be able to supply more torque than it will take. Also wheel hop seems to tear them up quick.
Now if you can stay off hard clucth dropping launches and power shifts it can last just fine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
A friend of mine had a t-5 that stood up to 440 bhp, never had a problem of any kind. It did go to the track with slicks many times.
He was an extremely smooth driver with a standard. He never missed a shift or grinded gears. However it shouldn`t have lasted like it did, we waited for catastrophe all the time but it never came.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Another factor is the condition of the T5. About 6 years ago we put a 347 in my brother in laws 91 mustang and it didn't last 4 months. It was starting to show signs of problems before the swap. It had a stock shortblock with just about every bolt on possible short of forced induction and N2O.

A common recommendation is to sell the T5 before it breaks and put in something better. Once it's broken it's a boat anchor. If you decide to keep it now might be a good time to go through it.

Eric

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i bought it used and it had been gone through and rebuilt i was planning on just running it behind my 302 but a recent head gasket replacement said its time to rebuild so im going to go with the 347 and i just dont know if it will hold up or not im starting to think not i might have to sell it and go with the tremec or what would you recomend its going in a 64 falcon so i need something that will fit i guess i could always keep the 4 speed and just install a top loader

jeff

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sell it for $500+ and use that towards a real tranny. With the everywhere in the rpm range torque the 347 makes it will most likely destroy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gork1rogues on 6/17/06 3:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not really familiar with all the options for manuals. A toploader of course would be strong. How much do you want to spend? Flip though Jegs or Summit's catalogs, there are several listed that will handle the torque. I think the Cobra's came with a better tranny. The T56 is a nice option, we just put one in my friends 66 mustang convertible. Pricey though.

Eric

·
Registered
32 Posts
you'll need to raise the transmission tunnel for any other overdrive. i would get a slightly built up t5 from a place like g-force or even astro performance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok well i guess i can run the t5 until it blows up and then rebuild it to handle the added torque or just build it right now and sell the gears that are in it now

jeff

·
Registered
991 Posts
the dont like powershifts and slicks, yes I also know some people that launch them on slicks BUT if you drive to the track and drive home, you have been warned.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
first of all if you are driving to the track your asking for problems anyway. Secong , i run the Jerico trans, its just like a top loader has the same dimensions etc, and they will gear it the way you want it. I love it many high rpm dumps with no problems, shifts silky smooth with or without the clutch, havent missed a shift in 2 years now .

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Assuming you have a typical street/strip 347 with 375 to 450 HP, here is what I have to say:

Build it with all of the improvements that are in a T5z and don't put slicks on your car and dump the clutch at 5000 rpm. Otherwise no problem. If your putting the 347 in a '65 or '66, the T5z is much easier to install than other Tremecs because it is smaller. Get the driveline angle correct (3 degrees or as close as you can get it). You may have to notch the upper trans crossmember in the tunnel and shim the trans up 1/2" or so to accomplish this ( that's what I did ).

Street tires cannot break a T5z. I have been very hard on my T5z at the local road course with stickier street/track tires and it's just fine and dandy.

Call Modern Driveline and ask them what engine they have in front of a T5z and ask them about their opinion about the T5z and it's strength...they happen to sell a ton of them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well its going in a 64 falcon and i would guess the engine max is 400hp but its not in the car quite yet so i have not gone to the dyno to see what it puts out its not a t5z just a t5 from a 90 gt and if i do go to the track its not with slicks just street tires im going to be running nitto nt555 not the drag radials

jeff

·
Registered
194 Posts
the t-5 behind my 347 is the 4cyl trans that came in the car .i got 3.73 gears so the 4.07 1st gear had to go so i contacted D&D for new gears and internals(shaft,steel front,rebuild kit...everything).$720.00 to my door then a local shop cleand case and put it together for 100 bucks carry out,and i race every chance i get but i only use 225/60R15 tires. you can see it preety good in my pics-not too sexy but effective

1 - 20 of 26 Posts