Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing new front coils from PST in my 63. I specified V8 coils, the ones that came out were the original 6 cylinder springs. After dropping the motor (302) in this afternoon, the front of the car didnt settle as much as i expected and would have liked. Will these springs settle from the weight of the motor and transmission, and if so, how much? Is heating the coils to drop them recommended, and will i be able to achieve the same height on each side? The front tires are way too exposed, and it looks like its pulling a wheelie. hopefully it wiull look like that launching at the track! thanks -joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
yes the coils will settle a certain amount if they dont settle to your liking you may need to remove them and cut a half a coil at a time until they are to your liking.dont try heating them they become weaker..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
When I first did my springs, mustangs plus GT spring for a 65 stang, I had the motor out, when I got the motor in it actually sat higher than before even after rolling it around the shop for a couple months, once I got it on the road it came down nicely just after driveing around the block.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do not heat the coils that will ruin the temper in the springs. It should settle an inch or so if you press down on each fender a few times and let the car bounce.

Don't cut the coils until you drive it to dertermine the real ride height.

I put 620lb coils on mine thinking it would be too low (after lowering the upper control arms 1.25") but it only dropped about 1" which was perfect.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
For what it's worth.....Advance Auto parts has devices you can clamp on the coils to raise or lower coil springs to your desired height.

I would drive it awhile to see where it "settles in" and then do the adjusting you want, but don't heat or cut them!!

My $.02 worth,
Cobrajack

·
Registered
3 Posts
They were settle quite a bit. Mine went down about 2 inches after a week or so.

As the others have told you, don't heat them. Loses the temper. And you'll be sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts