Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the Hooker super comp header # 6115, which are listed for a 70 or 71 429 Torino, will fit my '69, or even be fairly close. The real question is how similar are the chassis/ engine compartments of the '69 and the 70. By eyeball, they're nearly identical. I don't mind a bit of cut and weld, but I don't want to have to rebuild them from scratch. I know that Crites makes a set, and I'll use them if I need to, but I'm pretty sure they aren't equal length.
Whaddya say???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, TorinoStyle2! Can I ask if you were the one who used the 6115's in a 68/69? What I'm getting at is what should I expect to have to change? I'm planning on building my own motor mounts, so I can fit the motor for best position fore/aft, up/down, and for header/oil pan/crossmember fit.
You really don't sound like you think much of the Crites parts, what has your experience with them been like? I've only seen them in pictures..

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have Crites headers on my car and the fit was terrible. I had to modify two of the tubes.
When I first put them on, the first problem I ran into was that the rear drivers side tube had to be crushed about halfway closed to clear the steering box....not good!!
Then when I finally got them on there, I could turn all the way to the right, but only halfway to the left before the pitman arm would hit against the 3rd header tube on the drivers side.
I had to re-configure the tube to clear the steering components when turning full left.
Then, back to the other tube that was hammered shut to clear the steering box....it was cooking the grease/oil inside the box and causing it to leak out from dried seals.
So I cut the tube off at the flange and re did it to go up and over the steering box, then down around the back inside the frame rail.
After paying like $289 for these headers, this is not the type of stuff you'd expect to do to make them work!!
A few dings hear and there I can deal with...its the nature of headers, but when you have to make 2 out of the 8 tubes yourself, you've made 1/4 of the set of headers!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts