Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some searching on the forums here and found that a lot of you guys seemed to think that solid rollers work just fine on the street, with no reliability issues. Is this true, I want to run a roller cam and with the cam it's gonna take to feed the 427w at 6,500 rpm it'll be a lot of spring pressure for a hydro roller, I already have a set of crane retro fit hyro roller units with about 1,000 miles on them I was gonna use, but now thinking solid roller might not be such a bad idea, i'll be using 3/8 one piece pushrods anyway, and I have probe shaft mounted 1.7 ratio rockers, 10 degree locks, titanium retainers, and solid roller springs good to .740 lift already on the heads, and the solid roller idea's lookin even better, so guys will it last? I was looking at the comp super roller lifters part # 838-16.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
They'll be ok. I ran a SR cam in my 82 coupe for over a year. 347, Victor Jr. heads, 10.8:1 compression, driven nearly every day. The springs were 215lbs seat pressure, 700lbs open. Just groove the lifter bore (Comp sells a tool for it), and make sure you keep the motor cool.

When we tore my 347 down, there was no abnormal wear, and I sold the cam and lifters to a friend (wish I'd kept it, it was a custom from Comp, and would work freaking great on my 331 =/). He's been using them for almost 2yrs now, no probs.

Cris

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Will live fine. Just watch you do not limit oil to them and let them get plenty of oil splash (don't block oil from running back threw the valley)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is now no need to groove the lifter bore. The groove gets oil to the roller and needle bearings in the roller. extended idling or slow speed with little or no oil is what kills the lifters.

Comp Cams has changed their solid roller lifters. They ALL now come with a small hole that goes from the oil band down though the body to roller axles and bearings. The hole provides pressurized oil to the needle bearings. Comp does this at no cost. Crower, Isky and others charge you out the wazoo for a similar feature.

With the hole there is no need for the lifter bore groove.

I just put a set in my 557. I called Comp Cams before I ordered them and they said that any lifters currently in stock at any mail order house should have the EDM hole.

The hole is just above the axle, at the bottom of the oil band in this pic of mine.

David Cole

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I hate that Wazoo Charge !! LOL

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-03-06 08:00, Dave C wrote:
There is now no need to groove the lifter bore. The groove gets oil to the roller and needle bearings in the roller. extended idling or slow speed with little or no oil is what kills the lifters.

Comp Cams has changed their solid roller lifters. They ALL now come with a small hole that goes from the oil band down though the body to roller axles and bearings. The hole provides pressurized oil to the needle bearings. Comp does this at no cost. Crower, Isky and others charge you out the wazoo for a similar feature.

With the hole there is no need for the lifter bore groove.
This is true, if you get those lifters. I wasn't aware that they had switched them all over =). It's also very true that the low speed operation is what kills SR lifters, due to lack of oiling. So there you have it, comp lifters, or groove the bore, and you're more than covered!

Cris

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
COOL! Solid roller it is, it's even unanimous! Which lifters should I get the comp obviously, but the hi-tech ones or the super mechanical roller? What's the diff?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think im gonna get me a .945" 320deg duration solid roller for my v8 pinto.That ought to put the fear of God into my wallet!!!
JK!
If id have known that this was a possible id probably have stayed with my old 72 302 block and had it redone instead if going late model 302 hyd roller block. And then put a sweet solid roller setup. Hell i dont mind adjusting the valves! Its fun!! LOL

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
BLstangin, talk to Comp Cams about the lifter choice, they'd know better than any of us likely. Better than I would anyhow =).

Cris

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
O.k. I'll have to give them a call and see what they say. Can't wait to hear this thing run, to bad it's probably a couple months away, at the earliest.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah, my solid roller 347 was wicked sounding. You hear them a little differently than a solid flat tappet. The best part is that compression snap...sounds like it wants to go full out all the time, even at idle =).

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd check mine once a month, but then, I pretty much checked everything once a month. It was rare that I'd find a rocker out of spec, and probably due to me not tightening it properly the last time I checked them. I also, highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend that you use a stud girdle. Matter of fact, I'd call it a downright necessity. Also, once you have them properly hot lashed, check the lash cold the next morning, note the measurements, and use those as your numbers from then on (always checking them cold from then on out). This saves a lot of time, effort, mess, and most of all variance via always checking the valves at the same (basic) temperature. Saves a lot of cussing too.

Cris

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
For the solid roller what about the distributor gear choice. I hear crane makes a coated steel gear for the 351 windsor and comp has a composite gear. Anyone run these and what do you other guys use for a dist gear. Talking to john bennett and keith craft they seem to think the solid roller lasts about a month on the streets. Input please

Larry

1 - 20 of 29 Posts