Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some bad ones that need new gear, i think I can rob them from the rear plantentary and shim acordingly...,,ED

·
Registered
861 Posts
Any particular transmission or just a guessing game?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
If talking the C4/C5, then know that the later years used larger pinion shafts in the gears, and earlier reverse planetary pinion shafts (and therefore gear I.D.) are too small to fit. Just measure before you bust 'em apart.

David

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion, but this a c4 forum , I swapped out some gear from another front with one bad bearig and just tacked the shaft in. Thanks,, Rear never go out but the front sure do when you lean on them alot.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Quite common to repair the front planets with parts from a rear planet as they rarely wear . As mentioned watch the gear and roller sizes , there are some differences in gear width also . I reassemble using a roll pin

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, but this a c4 forum , I swapped out some gear from another front with one bad bearig and just tacked the shaft in. Thanks,, Rear never go out but the front sure do when you lean on them alot.

Basically a C4 forum yes but there have been other transmission issuse discussed in here as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To put a pin back in do you drill out the old broken one or drill a new hole? Dont have a drill press? ED

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Once you've knocked out the main pin, assuming you've knocked it through and sheared off the original retainer pin , the retaining pin bits just knock out . I then drill right through the original hole with a 3/32 drill bit . I use a 3/32 x 3/4 long roll pin. Then put a little punch mark on the outside of the planet case like original as to prevent the pin from coming out .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts