I've been seeing reports all over that read similar to this one.
No Twin-Turbo 'Road Runner' V-8 For Next Ford Mustang GT500
" We know all about the 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 engine headed for the 2011 Ford Mustang GT already, but recent reports had hinted at a twin-turbocharged version of that engine, dubbed "Road Runner," to be dropped into the Mustang GT500. That won't be happening this year, as a supercharged 5.4-liter aluminum-block V-8 gets the nod according to an official Ford announcement today.
It won't be happening any time soon, either, according to an Autoblog interview with Ford V-8 engine chief Mike Harrison. The engineering complexity and sheer cost of packaging twin turbos into the engine bay alongside the 5.0-liter V-8 would be too much to justify even for the $46,725-base-price Shelby GT 500
Still, moving from the current cast iron block of the 2010 GT 500 to an aluminum-block engine will help shift some of the car's 4,000-pound weight off the nose, no doubt improving handling and possibly cutting acceleration times. The new engine will be out later in the year when the 2011 model debuts.
On deck for 2012 is a new Boss version of the Mustang, though details on that model are still being held close. In the meantime, the 2011 Mustang is expected to get an even more focused Track Pack to complement the big V-8, so there'll be something for enthusiasts to sink their teeth into while they wait for the next generation of muscle car mayhem ..."
Article posted Sept 10th 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 dealer allocation will be limited, determined by sales and lottery....
Ford has yet to announce production numbers for the 2012 Mustang Boss 302, but you can bet that the car will be in high demand no matter how many are produced. The automaker has declared its new special edition Pony Car as the best-handling Mustang ever built, and fully expects its loyal customers to be eagerly awaiting the car's arrival next year.
With that in mind, Ford is being very particular about how many Boss 302s each of its dealerships will get, and in many cases, a dealer might not receive any inventory at all. According to Boss302Forum.com, the allocation of cars will be decided in two ways. First, the large-volume dealers that make up 75 percent of sales will receive 75 percent of the Boss 302 allocation. The actual number of cars each dealership receives will depend on the last 12 months of sales ending in September of 2010, although each dealer is guaranteed at least one Boss 302. The distribution of the remaining 25 percent will be determined via a lottery, with each of the remaining dealers receiving one chip simply for being a dealer, and an additional chip for every Mustang it has sold within the last 12 months. Each of these dealers will not receive more than one Boss 302.
So what does this mean for those interested in buying a 2012 Mustang Boss 302? The likely outcome is that dealers will try and make the most of the limited supply and slap on outrageous "market adjustments" to the price tag. Just like with the Shelby GT500 in 2007, customers should expect to pay a premium for the most desirable 'Stang on the market.
One of the new Mustang magazines (sorry, I don't remember the specific magazine) recently compared a GT500 and a new 5.0 GT w/ a Kenne Bell blower, both running on 9psi, and the GT spanked the GT500.
IMO, if they continue to make the GT500, they should put the 6.0L in it that is in the Raptor, and of course the ubiquitous blower. The GT500 should be special, and putting an exclusive motor in it would make it special.
I agree if the GT-500 is going to survive they in my opinion are going to have to make it special like putting the 6 Ltr. in with a KB twin screw blower. Simply putting a 5.0 supercharged engine in it with cobra decor on it is not the answer. Otherwise you might as well go buy a 5.0 GT supercharge it and put SVT cobra stuff on it and try to pass it of as a bonafide cobra, it would be cheaper than buying the real thing.
There have been rumors of a Boss 429 for at least 2 years now. The 6.2 engine is capable of that size, as we all know.
A fellow I know who already has a 2008 GT500 with Kenne Bell Upgrades
was asking a Ford rep at the Milan NMRA show last year if he should buy a new GT500 now or wait. He asked if the 5.4 was to continue and was told " We have something new coming, I think you should wait, you won't be disappointed".
People claim to have seen 4 valve heads, and others tell me they have seen aluminum blocks.... for the 6.2 series engine
I keep hoping I'll see the "mule" cruising around Dearborn streets!
You never know..
Considering what's going on in the car market at the moment, it seems like almost anything is game for the car manufacturers at the moment. But of course, the consumers' tastes are changing too. There are only but a few cars that will stand the test of time as everyone shifts to the hybrids and electrically run vehicles.