Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an idea for my 64, can I weld tabs on the lower control arm cut a hole in the upper a arm weld a shock hoop with tabs and run a coil over shock? Then I can cut out the shock towers?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
yup. But you need to research your working angles etc and make sure what ever you mount the top of the COS to is very rigid.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Absolutely not! Look at the shaft the upper arm pivots on and compare it to the singe bolt the lower control pivots on. Does it look like it is design to carry the weight of the car?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
LOL... exactly.

Fordmugg - Do some analysis on your loads and geometry. Stock suspension does not rest on the lower control arm. The load is through the upper to the spindle and down. The lower arm only locates. That isn't to say it couldn't be re-engineered to do it (and has been before), but it wouldn't be advisable without some basic load analysis. Or, just buy or duplicate one of the kits designed like you're considering.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Had an idea for my 64, can I weld tabs on the lower control arm cut a hole in the upper a arm weld a shock hoop with tabs and run a coil over shock? Then I can cut out the shock towers?
What is your purpose? Is this car going to be competition and/or hot street?

Are you just seeking more engine clearance? I would consider a MUST II upgrade first.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just trying to seek more engine bay room and the option of adjustable coil overs.. The reality is I just cannot afford the rod&custom mustang ll kit so I was thinking of another option. Trust me if its not safe I won't do it and that's why I'm on this forum, I figure there's no dumb question "ok maybe some" lol ... But if anyone has a cheap better option till someday I can afford a nice M ll
Set up that will be helpfull

Thanks

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If you can find a donor, the OEM MUST II/PINTO X-Member/suspension/steering can be used. You really don't need an expensive kit.

How large of an engine?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I think it's doable, Check out Sreno thread.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/fairlane-pages/501161-modified-64-suspension.html

Or like this Global west kit, modify or fab the lower arms like they use.
1968-71 Torino Front End Coil-Over Kit part # COMNR-6871DB

TCP also sells replacement parts, thats where the guy in the Pro-touring thread bought some parts to build his UCA.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/upper.html

Or this thread from Pro-touring.com, it's a Falcon but same design.
Project BLUEprint, 1965 Falcon
He used parts from Speedway motors and Allstar performance to modify the factory parts.
He autocrosses the falcon, I'm not aware of any failures. He is a Aerospace engineer.

Jet

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It can be done, it will be quite easy, and I edited my last post. I meant to say it doesnt carry the weight of the car. Sometimes I type faster then I can spell lol

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
No, it's not that hard, but it's not chopping a hole and adding tabs. That will break. If you don't have the skills to engineer a safe setup, KUL gave you the cheap option, or copy proven designs like Jet gave some good links to. The important point is that it's not a "guess it by eyeball" project if it will mix with families on the road. It's not your skin that is the primary concern here, though I'm sure it should be included. ;) Post your progress!
:tup:
David

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
That setup is cool, but you said your first main purpose was engine compartment room. That setup does nothing for adding space. You could chop a notch into the towers, but you can do that with what you have now. On the other hand, a stock MII has the upper spring cap about even with the upper arm mount. 1970s Jaguar is even shorter and goes in one-piece with rack and pinion... ;) Thinking out-loud.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Found this pic searching google and it's what I want to do but just using what the car has already

Who is the vendor of this changeover kit? It it specifically for a spring over upper control arm system?

It appears much as a system that was released for late model MUST (FOX/SN95) McPherson Strut changeover.

What you want to do is certainly possible but the cost when all of the smoke clears may be very high.

Regardless, if you decide to go this route, please post results within this thread when through.

And (IMO) the coil-over design will give you a little more clearance to cut the apron tower back but do you really need to cut that far? You never did mention what you are trying to fit within the engine bay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure who makes the system I pictures but I think the only things ill need are a set of adjustable coil overs and some tubing to make a shock hoop for the top support of the shock. The car has a 351w in it right now and trying to get to the plugs is a pain, all in all I want more room without spending $2700 for a M2 kit right now witch I can't afford anyways

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Most likely, if you just notch the towers now, you will have more than enough room. No reason to redesign the suspension. There are kits available or you can fabricate plates yourself.

I had a 428 in a 67 MUST and while it was a pain (changing plugs), it was no really big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
That looks like the TCP kit. It's pretty spendy.

I would notch the shock tower like the Crites restorations kit. Copied from the thunderbolts.

Then check out OpenTracker racing for some of his Rollerbearing kits for the controll arms.

Jet

·
Registered
285 Posts
Go coilover strut. Fatman makes a kit or RRS out of Australia. You can then chop the shock towers way back for lots of clearance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts