Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will tires with a tread width of 8.6 fit on my 69 cougar or will they stick out of the wheel wells

i want to get tires that have a tread width of 8.6 and a overall diameter of 27.6 will these tires fit on the rear or will they stick out of the wheel wells let me know thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
will tires with a tread width of 8.6 fit on my 69 cougar or will they stick out of the wheel wells

Depends upon the backspace of your wheels. You should be fine as long as it's 4" or so with that tire.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts

You will have to figure out the offset of the wheels as in back spacing so they wont stick out if your going after market wheels.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

I had a set of 295/50/15 on 15x8 rims with 3 3/4 backspacing and it fit nicely. No scrapes on bumps or a weighted down trunk.

Rick

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

Here's a picture of the dr. side with the 295/50/15's on my 70 Cougar

·
Registered
26 Posts

dark7068,

What are the backspacing on those wheels? I want to put some meats on my 69 mach1 but i don't know what backspacing to get. I would like to run 295's if possible. Is that the stock rear end on your cougar? Thanks a lot for your help. by the way-i was thinking of going with 15X8's with either 4.5in backspacing or 5in.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

The rims in the picture I used with my 295's were 3 3/4 back spacing. I bought 4 in. backspacing and they fit better.
It is the original rear end. Looks sweet eh. Go with 4 or 4 1/2 backspacing.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
83 Posts

Wow, the tires look good. I just got a set of 15 by 10 Cragar SS with 5 1/2" backspacing. Custom order part. I measured them up and they were really 5 1/4" backspacing and I mounted my 255/60r15's on them. Those tires are a little too narrow for the rim. Have to finish burning off the rubber before I get the 295/50r15's. Mine fit good but I think I could have used that extra 1/4". Will find out when I put the new tires on in summer. I have a 69 Cougar.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Hey Dark 7068,

Watch out for that nail sticking out of the piece or wood!!! HEHEHE

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

I plan on getting 305/50/15 on it this summer. They are only 4mm bigger actual size than the 295's. Future plans call for tubbing and going with Protrac 445/50/15's, one day.

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts