Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a public service announcement than anything else. I’m not writing this to bash on this company, but I just hope to possibly save someone else from the headaches I’ve gone through.

Early this year, I bought a full manual brake wilwood kit for my 64, from a company on eBay that is located in Asheville NC called Piratejack. The kit consists of a dual master cylinder with proportioning valve, rotors, pads, stainless flex lines, bearings, seals, mounting brackets and hardware. When I first received the kit everything seemed good and I didn’t plan to install it until my suspension rebuild.

I started that process in July. When it came time to install the brake kit everything went together well until I tried to install the front calipers, I discovered that they sent me a set that was made for 1.04” thick rotors, and they kit had 1.25” rotors. I figured that this was an honest mistake, no big deal. So, I messaged them and they said they would make it right.

After a couple of weeks of confusion about returning the wrong ones (which was my misunderstanding and the correct set wasn’t in stock anyway) I finally got the new calipers and installed them. So, I bled the brake system and thought I was good to go.

Well, after numerous bleeding sessions with gravity bleeding, manual bleeding, vacuum bleeding, etc... I still couldn’t get a good brake pedal. I could pump the pedal a few times and get brakes, but within a few seconds, the pedal would go soft again.

So, I started talking with professionals. I spoke to the head brake guy at my work and he had a friend that was former wilwood employee, and he was able to connect me with Nick, a wilwood tech support consultant.

So, after our initial conversation, he had me go through the basic check list, like check for leaks, take the master cylinder off and bench bleed it again, etc, just to be sure that everything was ok. After doing that a few times, over a couple of nights, I still had the same issue.

Back on the phone with Nick from wilwood, and we started digging deeper into the problem. I sent him the information he requested...
Hard lines are all solid with no unusual high areas that might trap air.... lines are all brand new with new fittings, no high spots. Good
Brake pedal ratio....1:6. Good
Caliper piston sizes....
front dual piston D52 calipers with 1.25” pistons.
rear single piston D154 calipers with 2.5” piston. Not good! The kit was put together with the piston sizing backwards.

So, back to piratejack I go with the info from wilwood. They were not happy with what I told them and requested that I forward all email correspondence that I had with Nick for their own tech guy to review, and so that they could speak to wilwood directly. I did this and let the Nick know, and he said that he would take care of it with piratejack. He also said that he had let the account manager who handled piratejacks wilwood account know that this problem existed.

Now, I will say this about piratejack... they have been good about making this right with no extra expense to me. They’ve paid for return shipping the first time the front calipers were wrong, and they replaced the calipers with no problem. Their communication is a different story. Nearly every time that they said they would call me back with info or answers, they didn’t. I would have to call them the next day and hope to get somebody to answer the phone. The second time around after contacting them and telling them that, per wilwood, all 4 calipers were wrong, I waited for a week to give them time to sort it out with wilwood, then I had to call them 3 more times over 5 days time to get an answer that they would be replacing the calipers. In fact Nick from wilwood emailed me to let me know before I ever heard back from Piratejack.

Finally on Thursday I received a new set of calipers and I already have them installed and hope to get them bled today.

I want to reiterate that this isn’t to give piratejack a bad name, but to warn anyone else that may have already purchased this kit from them, to check the parts sizes before installing anything. The corrected sizes that wilwood recommmended are 2 piston D52 front calipers with 2” pistons, and 2 piston D154 rear calipers with 1.125” pistons.

Piratejack did mention to me that they had some other customers that they were trying to contact about this issue, so hopefully they can get this situation corrected with those customers before they have all of the trouble that I have had.

BC

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have heard that a few times over the last few months....

The good news is that the new calipers are on and bled and the brakes are much better now. I am hoping to get an alignment in the next few days now that I can trust the car to not be driven off the end of an alignment rack. So, I might be able to salvage the last few weeks of cruising and car show season here in NC.

BC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts