Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Will I get/notice any benefit in my 347 stroker If I fit a Windage tray and\or an oil scraper? The car is predominatly for Street use and very occasionaly track day. The engine is still in the build stage, so it would be no hassle, but if there is no need I will not bother and spend the money somewhere else!

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Hey Martin - Windage trays are one of those items that are part of every build whenever reasonably feasible. They reduce oil foaming, improve drain-back, reduce oil drag at launch, reduce ring loading and windage drag at high RPMs, but only to the tune of 5 to maybe 10 HP. Although the effect is exponential (quadruples with doubling of RPMS) and only clearly seen on the dyno above 6000 or so, the effect is there even at cruise. So, even a daily driver can benefit by a HP or two if geared for a high cruise of 2500-3500 rpm. You can imagine what a dozen 'little things' like this can add-up to. Whether 7hp screaming or a tiny help all the time is worth the expense in your build is up to you.

David

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Not necessarily for horsepower but necessary for oil control and management and particularly if the engine is going to see high rpms.

I run a standard volume, standard pressure Melling oil pump also for drag racing. The higher pressure/volume ones do take some horsepower to run. If I had an 8 quart pan and was going to run extended top end I would run a different pump.

Another thing to look at is what oil you are going to run. I run Royal Purple racing oil in err, 5W30 I think. All these things are needed anyway and when combined together will add some horsepower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts