Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a front sump conversion on a 5.0. There wasn't a windage tray on the old engine and I was wondering when they're necessary.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
When your road racing or turning over 6000 rpm. On the street you'll never notice a difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would not build a motor without one. Its free horsepower, and every article I have seen it does not take until 6000 rpm to show its advantage. On some motors the difference has been shown as low as 2000 rpm. Its all personal preference and everyone has an opinion.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You can find some interesting debates about this over on the Hardcore 5.0 forum where some professional engine builders hang out. One thing that's often agreed on is to not use a windage tray during break-in of a street engine. The extra oil getting thrown up on to the cam, cylinder walls, etc., is a benefit during break-in. Of course a race-only engine doesn't care because it gets torn down often, but for a street engine... My own 347 ran with and without one, never saw a difference, but it did have a crank with profiled counterweights. And some builders recommend for a street engine just to run a high volume pan a quart low on oil; for instance a 7-quart pan with 6 quarts of oil.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bmcd66250 on 10/24/06 9:57pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bmcd66250 on 10/24/06 9:59pm ]</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulling the pan again after break in sounds like a major PITA. The oil pan idea sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That's the point, the oil is below the tray instead of being kicked up by the crank onto the cam and cylinder walls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts