Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best and easiest way to remove my window mouldings from the front windshield of my 68 mustang.
Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
I checked my 69 ford shop manuals and it said..under remove wundshield, was to remove wiper arms REMOVE WINDOW MOLDING and then it goes right into the windshield part. it references a special tool to get the clips off. Sorry.no big help, might want to check with a glass shop.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The chrome mouldings are held in place by clips. The mouldings should slide off /pry off. The clips are little springy things, and the back of the moulding is like a U channel. So you get one side of the U over the clip then force the other side down and it clips over the other side of the U... hard to explain, but I think some gentle prying, up from the bottom of the upper molding,the one that goes atop the top of the windsheild, will get that one off. Then the side mouldings should slide off, then the lower.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There is a special tool to get those clips off. You can actually get it at most auto-paint supply stores and some hard parts stores. Can't remember off-hand how they worked, but I used one to get them off my Falcon.

You can also get new clips at an auto-paint supply store, just bring in one of your old ones too match up.

·
Registered
698 Posts
With crappy repro moldings and the lack of nos parts, my money is well spent by calling out, or going to the glass shop for them to remove the moldings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take your time while using this tool. I found the tool at the local parts shop in some bargain tools bin for cheap. Did a hasty job removing them from my 67 coupe, and, long story short, I ended up with a bunch of worthless twisted and torn chrome strips
. Finding replacements was quite a pain, it's a do-able job, but be careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts