Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
'64 G500 convertible drivers side window regulator broke (weld let go). Can the busted one be spot welded or do I need to replace with a 'new' one? Would one from a '65 fit my '64? My gut says no but my gut is never right.

thanks
marc

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I doubt the 2 would be the same, as the 65 was a restyle. Without a pic or two I can give no advice on the reweld, but maybe one of the others here will have an idea....

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
You cannot weld the pot metal that the regulator was made of. I think I have a couple of regulators that I have modified to prevent the back cover from popping off as outlined in Dennis Carpenter's (reproductions) catalogs. If interested, let me know. Also, l/h or r/h. Don

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
like don said....
where it comes apart in mounting points from pot metal ....
press it back together and drill a small hole in center..put a small short selftap shetmetal screw in hole...and it will never come apart again.....

now is also a good time to take it all apart, clean and grease...
i had to do that to mine also...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks folks...it's my drivers side that's died. I've got it taken apart and might try RAGGAREN's advice. What do you want for one of yours Ragan64? I'm in Vancouver BC.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
thanks folks...it's my drivers side that's died. I've got it taken apart and might try RAGGAREN's advice. What do you want for one of yours Ragan64? I'm in Vancouver BC.
i assume you where talking about the small side window/vent window......
if its the bigger one, and the spotwelds broke...then yes it could be clamped and spot welded again.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts