Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace my windshield as well as the weatherstrips for it and the back glass.
I have the factory shop manual that explains how it could be done but I'm sure there are other methods.
I'd like to hear how you go about it and what to watch out for.
Thanx in advance for all of your help!

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: finkster on 8/11/06 5:14am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Start by removing side windsheild trim (The 2 upright peices). leave the top and bottom in. Cut the rubber from the inside, then sit in the seat and push evenly as possible with your feet. Work your way around and take your time.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
i used rust bullet after wire wheeling to metal, then with the front prior to putting new sticky tar tape stuff test fit the window in place and look at the very bottom, and make certain where the area is that you wont be able to see the tar tape through the window outside looking in( as once you put it on you cant take it off. see i did this but didnt take my time and you can see the tar tape all along the bottom and its not perfectly straight so it would lose points in a show and doesnt look as nice as it could have. you can see on my front that i could have put the tar tape lower and stiil have it seal and barely see it or maybe not even see it, or i at least could have put it on in a straighter line...oh well its for the track.
the rear window soapy water helps alot and some strong wire can help in hard to get areas. also i would have a friend help or you may drop the glass or have problems. good luck

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Truckstop!
The "sticky tar tape" is the sealer then?
Do you know where I can get that stuff? I live in LA as well so driving to it should be no problem.
Using soap as a lubricant for the back glass I understand but where would the wire come in?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On 2006-08-10 16:54, finkster wrote:
Thanx Truckstop!
The "sticky tar tape" is the sealer then?
Do you know where I can get that stuff? I live in LA as well so driving to it should be no problem.
Using soap as a lubricant for the back glass I understand but where would the wire come in?
Hey guys, I have never taken out and reinstalled a windshield nor do I know what "Tar tape" is. But NPD (National Parts Depot sells a 3M Strip-Calk part no. 08578. I used it when putting my fenders back on. It seals metal to metal, and eliminates any squeaking. I assume it is the same material Ford used on them at the factory. Anyway it comes in a box, you get 20yds. or 60ft in 1' lengths (much more than you might use in a life time). Check it out if it works for you I live in LA and could give you enough to take care of your needs. Again I do not know if this is the right material but it is sticky stuff and allows you to get a bit of adjustment once set in place.

Soap on the back window???
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The glass is held in place with the rubber seal. The "Tar Strip" will not hold your glass in place. Your windshield could pop out when you roll down the window. The later models used the lay-in glass. You need the rubber gasket style in the 60-65 Falcon

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
One thing to watch out for in all this is the headliner. For if still original, Ford used to tuck the windshield side of the cloth underneath the edge of the rubber seal. When cutting around the windshield seal, and iff'n you want to keep your headliner, be aware of this. For if you cut too deep along the top, it will cut the tucked under portion of the headliner too. Then there is good possibility that the front portion may sag.

Clean the area good, removing the built up dirt, before reinstalling the windshield assembly.

Wm.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes we have the big ol' rubber weatherstrip to contend with.
I am replacing the headliner as well as the weatherstrip.
I have the front glass out and I have a new weatherstrip.
I've taken care of the area where the glass lays and am just about ready to order glass.
The company that I'm buying the glass from will install it but I have to drag my Ranchero to them which is no big deal but I have no issue taking a shot at something if it's not too complex to save myself some money and the even more valuable asset, time!
Thanx for all of the advice.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I had the front and rear windshield replaced in my 64 back in the spring. I had a glass company do it. A father and son came out to my house and did the work. The gentleman has been installing windshields in cars for over thirty years. In fact, he owns the company. They did not use any string or sealer. I questioned the man several times about the sealer. He said it was not needed and his work was fully warranted against leaks and popping. They used a small tool that was crooked on the end. The father worked the rubber from the inside while the son pushed on the outside of the windshield. These guys were very professional and I could tell from watching them install the stainless steel strips that they had done this many many times. They were at my house for little over an hour, but much of that time was spent talking about the father's 67 Mustang and the son's hemi charger and my Falcon. The cost for a new front windshield and the install of both front and rear was $258.00. I would definitely go that route again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts