Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, does anyone know how to repair the wiper switch for a 67 galaxie 500?

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks deb!

well, the plastic piece where the wires plug into seperated from the metal piece. kinda strange. would expect this to happen to an autozone part.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Two different wiper switches on my 62 came apart just like that and they were factory parts. Where the two pieces were crimped together just lost tension and the insides just fell out in the floor. When the first one broke I never found all of the pieces. I had to hold it in the on position to make the wipers work.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Domino, were you able to put the second one back together or did you have to get another new one? Sure sounds like they needed improvements if 2 fell apart. Must be like the lid switch in my washing machine!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It finally broke internally and I let it pass on to the next world. I modified my wiper motor mount to use the motor off of a 75 F100. I figured I had the motor and a switch saved from a truck I scrapped and I wanted 2 speed wipers. If I can make it work I will add delay later.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Living here in the NW delay wipers would sure be a plus!! Guess i get a little exercise leaning forward to turn those wipers off and on. :) That's what got them working in 2 spd again was the move up here in the rain. Only had the one speed to start with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beware, these switches have an internal circuit breaker and are fed from the accessory post on the back of the ignition switch. Sometimes when they start to fall apart, they short the power pin to ground which will thoroughly fry the wire between the two switches. Puff of white smoke, flames and all that. Don't cut corners on this one.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
i get a little exercise leaning forward to turn those wipers off and on. :) That's what got them working in 2 spd.
Ha ha Hey shotrod, I have those lean-forward 2 spds too!
putts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my 69 two speed. I'm sure it's different than yours but it is two speed and metal crimped onto plastic (more like bakeolite or something) anyway mine separated due to age or whatnot so I just cleaned up the interior, put the pieces back together with a little grease then VERY lightly peened the original metal crimp back onto the plastic part with a very dull chisel. Looks original and works fine. As with everything else on a 69 nos and even used were hard to find and expensive (last nos I saw on ebay was $160) if you can get a used one fairly cheap buy it, fix the old one and you've got a spare.

Scott.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts