Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a nice bunch of parts to build a 393- a Scat 9000 crank, balanced Eagle Esp's, Wiseco custom dishes (14cc I believe) cut for TW Track Heat, FR alum rocker covers, Motorsport "victor" intake, nice SFI PB balancer, Scat flexplate, nice Probe girdle, ARP cap bolts, clevite bearings, childs and alberts file fit rings, a used "Nelson Specialties" worked billet MSD dist. w/ 2 box leads, two sets of plug wires, Milodon pan and pickup, alum water pump, melling oil pump and some nice CV pulleys and of course the bored and honed and clearanced E9AE block. For 1200 bucks. Supposedly this block came out of a van early ninties vintage. I have a '70 block collecting dust but it is in stock form. Is the older block that much stonger? I'd like to make a little over 500 HP at as low an RPM as possible - but no bottle. Also I was thinking AFR CNC'd 185's - how do they compare to the Track Heats on a motor like this - I want the most I can get with out spinning it real hard. Cam recommendations? I'm not afraid of solid lifters. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
As far as I know...there are no Bad 351 windsor blocks. They were designed from the beginning to be stronger than the earlier SBF (289/302). All you have to di is look at the increased crankshaft diameter (much larger compared to the smaller sbf) to know what ford what thinking. Some people point out that the thicker crank give more rotational drag, which introduces more friction losses at higher rpms. Other wise; there is nothing preventing the 351 greatly exceeding 500 hp without any problems...bottom line - Strength of the stock block is not an issue at the horsepower you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Even the most conservative will say that block is good to 550 hp. The earlier block is stronger. You don't need it to meet your goals in this case.

The only problem is the fact that your pistons are for a Twisted Wedge head. This is not an inline valve head like the AFR 185 (which I feel are a good choice for your goals). You may run into piston to valve clearance issues. The new cnc 185 Twisted Wedges may be the ticket and are at least as good as the AFR's from the little I've read from those that have seen them. They are about $400 more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 4/9/06 1:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks. I now seem to recall the pistons were custom cut for TF R-series heads. Like I said I'd like to be over 500 hp but I want to keep the power curve fat down low and the revs sane. Without spending a fortune. Probly not gonna happen right?

·
Registered
310 Posts
You can have the pistons fly cut for inline valves of the AFRs.
A Stealth will help flatten out the power range over the Victor JR.

What kind of camshaft are you considering using?
I'm using a solid roller in a 393 with 247/253 @ .050 and it pulls like a freight train from 4000-6500

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Think you need custom headers with the R heads. Otherwise they're great.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The R's also have a 2.08 intake valve which may not work if the piston is designed for a 2.02. You can enlarge or grind new valve relieves like was previously stated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing wrong with the TF -R's but the price. But then strokers aren't ever really cheap are they? I have some upgraded street TF's on a 306. They have been cut down .050 for about 53cc chamber's if I remember right. No porting. What numbers could I get out of those do you think?

Quote - "What kind of camshaft are you considering using?
I'm using a solid roller in a 393 with 247/253 @ .050 and it pulls like a freight train from 4000-6500"

Yeah I was thinking solid roller too - what grind is that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: toploader on 4/9/06 4:39am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You'd need AFR 205's to compare to the R heads and they are nearly identical in price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts