Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '71 Galaxie with a 351W. Engine came down with a rod knock and I decided to swing in a 302 that I had sitting that I believe came out of a '73 Mustang. I'm guessing that the 351 was bolted to a C6 trans in the Galaxie and that the 302 was bolted to a C4 in the Mustang. 351 had a 164 tooth flexplate, the 302 had a 157 tooth. Also the plate between the engine and trans on the 302 had the same bolt pattern for the engine, but it was a smaller bolt pattern on the bottom. I ended up using the 164 tooth flexplate in order to get the starter to line up, but after I got it running I was talking to a parts guy and am concerned I may have used the wrong flexplate. Both flexplates were weighted in the same position, but the weight on the 164 appeared to be smaller. FWIW, the engine idles smooth and I can't feel anything abnormal above half throttle. At 1/4-1/2 throttle I feel a little vibration and am paranoid that I might be screwing something up. If I do have the wrong flexplate installed, can I use the damper off the 351 on the 302 to fix this, or do I have to get a different flexplate? I could find no part numbers on either flexplate, both are FoMoCo.

TIA
GregG

·
Registered
314 Posts
Both 164 tooth and 157 tooth flexplates will have the same 28 oz/in imbalance. 81 and later 302's (5.0L) will have the different one, 50 oz.

The 164 uses an 11 7/16" bolt circle pattern for the converter while the 157 uses a 10 1/2".

If it matches your bellhousing and starter then you can use it.

Later,

David Cole

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Sounds like you have done ok.The post above explains the balance.If you are worried you might have say a 50oz flexplate ,then don't.You will know it if you did.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I've been subjected to too much misinformation over the past week, which left me paranoid. The only spare engine I have if I screw this one up is a 200 inline 6, something I hope to avoid having to use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yuk dude, the only thing a 200 is good for is an anchor, we had em here as well mate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts