Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I bought a pair of what I thought were cleveland heads at a swap meet. The guy told me they were clevelands so I figured they were. Come to find out, I take them apart and there is a WF casting on them, so I figure that is for Windsor Foundry. So it turns out I have windsor heads now... No big deal. I have looked forever and reasearched head castings and I cant place one casting. The casting is C9OE G. Here is what I know from decoding it for myself. The C = 1960 Decade / 9 = the year / O = Fairlane / E = Engine Department... BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE G STANDS FOR... Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Going by my Ford parts interchange book, it looks like G is the change code suffix. "A" would be the original part, B would be at least one engineering change, etc.

According to the same book looking at 351W heads, I can't find any C90E G casting reference. They stop at D, and then the 1970 heads begin.

I wouldn't be overly concerned - you have a decent set of castings to work with regardless.

·
Registered
664 Posts
if you need casting numbers to tell the difference between cleveland and windsor heads......well...you have problems.

Easiest way to tell is the canted valves on a cleveland head. Second easiset way is to measure valves. The biggest valve that can be fitted in a windsor head is a 2.02 intake, stock they will have either 1.78 or 1.84. The smallest intake valve that fits a cleveland head is a 2.08 I think. Third way, if a tennis ball fits in the intake port, it's cleveland. If its a windsor, fitting your thumb in the port will be a tight fit.

An easy way to find pics is to search on ebay, search for "351 windsor heads" and then search for "351 cleveland heads", you'll see exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cleveland heads also have different exhaust manifolds. The bolt holes are catty cornered from each other. Windsor holes are in a straight line just like the 302.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Different areas create different values. Out here in Ca , the price of '69 351W heads goes from $100 for cores to $750 for ported , big valve , stud and guide plated heads. (used) . Out here they are not hard to find yet and most opt for aluminum heads anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think if you stuff a 2.02 intake in the W head you cant fit the 1.65 ex. You have to use the 1.56.

You are better off using a 2.02 intake and have it cut down to a 2.00 and then use the 1.65 ex and the numbers will balance better for ya.

·
Registered
485 Posts
They don't flow as much air as the aftermarket iron heads ( Roush , World, RHS, Ford "N") A "good" C90E head will flow about 240 fully ported. SEVERAL lower performance aluminum heads flow that AS CAST. By the time you port , stud, and big valve a set of iron Windsor heads , you could have bought aluminum heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts