Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a 73 r 74 windsor engine that came from a boat. i assume that's called a marine engine. as far as i know, windsors use the larger plugs. and the cleveland plugs use the smaller plugs.

well this 351w heads has the small plug holes. my 69 351w has the large plug holes. what's up with this? is this being a good or a bad. could i just port these babies and get ready to rock?

somebody in my dad's shop said it' a marine engine so it's a lil different. it might have high compression.

WHAT'S UP WITH THIS GUY? ARE THESE HEADS A KEEPER OR A THROW-HER-OUTTER?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The large plugs were on the 69-70 model heads. After that they went to the small plug. No difference in performance due to the plugs.

The heads that you have will do ok for a mild application, if they are in usaable condition. If they have to be be totally rebuilt with new valves, guides, etc or you want a really hot stup you would be better off buying a set of cast iron aftermarket. The money difference is very little, but you get much more potential with the aftermarket.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
55 Posts
Somwhere in the middle 70s the switched to the small plug. I beleive they also had big chambers and the smaller vavles like the 302. Check part number for sure before spending any money on them.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
XolieX..........

Has this marine engine seen SALT WATER??? If so, I hear it is hard to clean them up enough so as not to have corrosion problems later on!!

Good Luck,
Cobrajack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts