Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a drag car about 5 years ago & did nothing to it but let it sit. I am now getting to it & trying to get it going & i have a lot of questions.

I need to get it running but it has no alternator, so by time i got it turned over enough to choke/fire it up & get it running the battery has lost to much and isnt strong enough to do it again. I am using a new 12v 1000ca interstate.

I thought about maybe hooking up two battery's but it will still drain them & im sure i'll be stuck where im at now, having to wait around for battery's to charge so i can try to start the car.

How do i know what parts i need for my motor. Do i have to get them year specific to the engine? or can the front pulley, alternator bracket, (& what else?) be from any windsor.. Or do these parts even need to be specifically from a Windsor or even a ford motor?

I thought about putting an alternator on it but I'm not sure where to start. i need brackets & pulleys, i would need to replace the current electric water pump correct?

Battery is currently in the trunk, if i add the alternator is it going to be ok that the bat stays in trunk or would it be best to put it up front

What would you do? If i go to a salvage yard & want to get everything i need to hook up an alternator, What do i need to get? From a specific vehicle/engine?

1982 Mustang GT-351W-C6 trans-B&M Z Gate-8 Point Roll Cage-Bucket Seats w/5 point harnesses-10 Gal Fuel Cell-Holley Dbl Pump Carb-Full Frame Connected-Drag Shocks-Et Drag Tires/slicks-Front Runners 6" Center Lines-Accel Coil-Front Brake Line Lock-Electric Water Pump, Holley Blue Fuel Pump & Fan

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
There is another thread kind of like this thread somewhere's thats fairly new, but anyways there are low mount brackets (factory) that would let you run the ele wp. All that would be ran by the belt would be the alt itself from the crank pulley. Not knowing what damper you are using, the pulley selection is a little tuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure WHY you want an alternator? It is not going to fix the problem that you described. A good, well charged battery will run the starter, water pump, fuel pump, and fire the ignition on a drag car. It has been done for yearrrrssss. The battery is charged or changed out between rounds. An alternator will not charge the battery while you are in crank mode.

If you are set on installing an alternator, X2 on the previous post. Usually, OEM brackets and pulleys are a set. Mixing years and models can be disappointing. Mounting an alternator to run direct off the crank pulley would be the simplest pulley/bracket combo...even aftermarket availibility.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm not sure WHY you want an alternator? It is not going to fix the problem that you described. A good, well charged battery will run the starter, water pump, fuel pump, and fire the ignition on a drag car. It has been done for yearrrrssss. The battery is charged or changed out between rounds. An alternator will not charge the battery while you are in crank mode.

I have to agree with this it take an alt. just as long to charge a batt as it dose a batt charger. It will not charge while you are cranking it over trying to get it to run, get a good battery charger with a boost circut. but remember the hotter you charge the battery the shorter the life will be.

·
Registered
830 Posts
March makes a kit to mount an alt and get away from factory ugly brackets.

Leave the battery in the trunk as long as you have a nice thick wire going to your solenoid.

I might have an alt setup I can sell you with crank pulley 6 rib.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts