Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are they as compared to AFR 205 heads, Edelbrock Victor Jr. , Brodix Track 1 SBF, or even Canfields? I'm narrowing down my choices for heads for the stage 2 motor. An important thing for me right now is the fact that I need the heads to have exhaust ports as close to stk. location as possible. The above mentioned heads all have raised exhaust ports to a degree although they are raised a small amount (not like TFS heads). I have a feeling I won't be able to get away with using a head that has raised ex. ports even if it's a slight amount. (I guess I got lucky getting my hooker 6208 headers to work with my stk. 351W engine in my granada)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The answer is they are fine. They are all fine in fact. They just aren't in the same league. You can't realistically compare CNC ported 2.08 heads to a set of budget non-CNC'd 2.02 heads and get a fair comparison. I think World Products would be happy to have their little heads included in the list though.

The real question is what sort of flow do you need for your combo? Once you determine that your list of heads will shorten to the few that will fit the need. Maybe you really need some Yates heads that will run 6.70's at over 200 mph in the quarter or something or maybe you just need some ported stock 351W heads. Who knows? Although you want some range for future expansion way overkill on the heads is never a good thing. You will just slow down.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, hottarod for the answer. Yes I know that the dart heads are a little behind AFA head to head performance to the other cyl. heads mentioned, but if I was talking for ex. AFR non-CNC 205 heads (195cc) runners (part #145) I would hope that the dart heads would perform close to the other heads given the same treatment to each (machining, porting etc.)

Like I said earlier, stk. ex. port location is important to me as I want to make sure that once this motor is build it should be a straight drop in in my granada (that's why the headers are already in with my ex. system on a stk. motor, to make sure the headers fit)

It seems to me the dart heads have the "right stuff" when checking their website on them, they are listed as having most of what the other head manufacturers offer for their heads and there is the option of machining them for bigger intake valves (up to 2.08" like AFR, Brodix (std) and Canfield (optional) and larger spring pockets for solid roller cams so with machine work they should perform on the same level as the others?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I think that with some porting the Windsor Sr's compare out to similar to the AFR 165 and 185 heads.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The Windsor Sr's compare to the AFR 205s in fully ported form and a little more. You can get 310CFM with a 2.02 valve from the Sr heads in fully ported form and I also got 215cc intake ports after porting my iron Sr heads which are identical to the aluminum Sr's. The exhaust can flow over 215CFM without major reworking using a 1.6" valve and I kept my exh port exit same size as cast but opened up inside considerably. I believe the Windsor Sr heads are diamonds in the rough but they do need work to flow the number needed to exceed the AFR 205s. Now if you put in 2.05/1.625 valves(for nitrous) or my preferance would be 208/1.60 naturally aspirated, the flow numbers would go up from the added amount of metal removal in the bowls and short side. Widening the short sides on intake and exhaust ports really helps out. BUT, with the Victor Jr heads having much greater potential than even the worshipped "AFR 225s" when fully ported I would start with the Victor Jr heads which are about the same price as the Darts and have them ported later when the need arises. The Victor heads are even better but very expensive from the shaft rockers needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts