Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you using for pulleys? The March pulleys seem way pricey, the Ford Motorsport billet aluminum set for $149 seems reasonable. Any other options? Just want to avoid the stock 351W crank pulley which is the size of a small planet.
My google.com search turned up very little.

·
Registered
682 Posts
had canton race pulleys on my 69 mach1408,nothing lined up what a nitemare that was, they said it would line up when i called to ordered the pulleys untill i put them on, no way with stock brackets, so i call them up they say race pulleys only, ha! so i spend $275 for nothing, unless they have some brackets to fit my motor which they do, but dont know if i should order them, march have them,try ford motorsports, i might look at them to for my car,these windsor pulleys are so big,the canton one was half the size.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stroker. Well, noone else with a 351W has pulleys on their friggin' engines? Bottled 408? 393Fastback?
So far the best looking are the FoMotorsport, but I would like some input. I wish N20Mike were running a 351 instead of a 302 so I could get a bit of help.
Help a brother out...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use a small factory crank pulley on my 351W (383 stroker). It measures 6 1/4" across. I have two of them. The original 3 bolt pulley was on my motor when I got it. The one currently on the car is a 4 bolt, but other than that it is identical. My damper can use use either 3 or 4 bolt patterns, so I'm using the 4 bolt for strength. I'm not sure what the 4 bolt came off of. Prob an early 70's 351W or 302.

I did have to change the spacing on the alternator just a little. No problem though. That was when I added the aftermarket damper. Everything lined up with the stock damper.

The alt pulley is a 4" Moroso.

Pic:

Any questions, just ask.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
682 Posts
hey DAVE C do you run powersteering on your car with stock pulley, do you know what crank pulley you used for your car, i have canton pulleys, nice set,www.cantonracingproducts.com but nothing lined up with my 69351w brackets, just wondering if i can still use the canton pulleys some how.hate to waste the dam things.also i see you pluged up your heater lines on your car, i just put a hose from water pump to top of manifold, short hose maybe i'll do what you did on yours, what kind of plugs did you use? thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
On 2002-06-11 20:55, strokerman wrote:
hey DAVE C do you run powersteering on your car with stock pulley, do you know what crank pulley you used for your car

also i see you pluged up your heater lines on your car, i just put a hose from water pump to top of manifold, short hose maybe i'll do what you did on yours, what kind of plugs did you use? thanks
I don't have power steering. The car never had it from the factory. The crank pulley is oem Ford. It was from an early 70's 302 or 351W. It has two grooves on it so it would prob work with power steering. The 3 bolt pulley I have is part # C9OE 6312 E. It is 6 1/4" diameter and 2 7/8" tall. The 4 bolt one is identical, but it's on the car. Can't see the part #, but I think it starts with D2

The water pump/bypass plugs are from Auto Zone. In the "Help" section with all the springs, grommets, etc. The come 2 in a pack for ~$2. Get 3 packs for a total of 6. You will use 4, but keep the other two as spares. The rubber caps are not reinforced like hoses, so they are sorta soft. You have to replace them every now and then. Two sizes. You need the 5/8". Others are 3/4". You will also need a 1/2" pipe plug to plug the water outlet on top of your intake.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
406 Posts
R Man, I have a 302 out of a 1979 F150, stock pulley on crank is like 6 inches, it is a single V belt type ( has a tiny 1/4 " groove on the back for an air pump) perhaps You can find something like that at a wrecking yard. I have seen those 351 crank pulleys and they are damn near 10 inches!!! I am thinking I might have to get into the pulley bidessss!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.