Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I'm having a problem with my 66 fairlane wiper motor.

I have a single speed switch and harness that has a black wire, blue wire and an orange wire with a black stripe.

The wiper motor in my car is not connected.

It has a red, white, black and blue wire.

What do I need to connect to get these things working?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wires are all cut.

I have both versions of the wiring diagram and it is no help. It says what wires go to the plug and through to the motor but the wires are cut after the plug.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Your life is sucking. Do find that 63 Falcon wiring writeup I did. I think the motors are very similar, and you can garner a lot of info off it.

And Do NOT hard wire them. Get male females for all of them or get a pair of plugs to wire in. Wiper motors draw a lot of amps and you want GOOD connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked at and it is helpful.

If I hook up white to battery positive it is slow and blue to battery positive is fast.

I only have a single speed switch.

What should black and red on the motor be? Red I get no response when I hook them up the battery.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I believe the motor has to be grounded if I'm not mistaken. Maybe someone who actually knows if this is fact will chime in. Just trying to help with ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it needs to be grounded because the motor turns when I connect the positive with all the other wires disconnected.

In addition. I get no voltage from any of the connections with the wiper switch on on the existing wiring with respect to ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran a meter on the wires and none of them went to ground when the wiper switch was turned on.

I'm starting to wonder if my wiper switch ground wire is damaged or missing.

I'll try to take a look tonight.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I believe that with your switch in the off (park) position, you should pick up ground from the orange with black stripe. This should break when the switch is positioned to on. The motor ground should be grounded off the case.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Now it's bugging me ... with the number of wires (4) off the motor, and getting two running speeds I believe you have a 2 speed motor you're trying to hook to a single speed switch. If you don't get it figured out tonight, there is a 2 speed car I can look at tomorrow and can probably figure it out from that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll make sure there is a ground from the case to the body.

It is a 2 speed motor. I just want to hook up one of the speeds so I can have working wipers. It works without a ground hooked up by jumpering ether the blue or white wires to the positive battery terminal.

The bad thing is I dont even know what car the motor came off of...

I plan on taking off the instrument panel when I get home so I can get into the wiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent some time last night and this morning before work and this is what I've found.

There is a mysterious black wire with a yellow female bullet connection on the end of it that is not connected to anything. Both the black wire at the switch and the white wire at the switch go to this connector. What should it be connected to?

With the key on or off I get continuity with the orange w/white and white wires.

When I turn the key into the on position. I get 12V from orange w/white to ground at the switch connector.

With the wiper switch in the off position I get continuity though the switch between the white and orange w/black wires.

With the wiper switch in the on position I get continuity through the switch between the black and blue wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've actually looked at thread a bunch over the last couple days.

It was pretty helpful. Just have a hard time getting my head around a black ground wire and a black power wire in the same wiring harness.

Becuase the black wire that I have is unconnected. I assume connecting it will at least allow me to get voltage out to the wiper motor. The loose black wire has continuity with the white wire on the system so I am making the assumption that it is ground.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts