Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i turned my wipers on this morning on my 63 wagon without realising my screen was frozen the wiper went half way up then stopped , now they wont move at all. as it is rememberance day for our soldiers i have not had time to even look as i didnt want to be late for the 2 minute silence at the desert rat memorial 40 miles from my house.so i have a couple of questions before i tackle this tomorrow evening.
1. is the motor under the scuttle or under dash and is it straightforward to remove?
2. i will strip all linkages out and rebuild them but are parts available?
3. is there any thing to be wary of in doing this?

i will read the manual i have tomorrow but im just trying to get a heads up on this latest problem .

thanks in anticipation . mark

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
its pretty easy over all..motor has to be unscrewed/dissconnected from ext.side in cowl
remove screws and lift of cowl grill...
it will become clear what to do , once looking inside cowl...
may need a extra pair of hands to hold motor in place when reinstalling/ to get bolt started..;)

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
did you check Fuse..???

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really think its mechanical as it has been quite eratic for a while but will check it if i can find it lol. thanks

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
its under dash ..on firewall ,to left of pedal assembly....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have put them in park position and will look further into this tomorrow.
i cant remeber a fusebox on firewall mine was behind the light switch so will check that as well.
thanks

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
lopked without success for fuse so tested the two wires on bottom of wiper gear box and got 12v at each depending on switch position .

1963 ford country sedan 2 speed wiper motor by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr
so remover wiper arm mechanism from motor spindle,. tried motor again and spindle moved and stopped so removed wiper motor unit. took cover of gearbox unit and it was full of solid grease.

so i degreased it using car cleaner as that was all that was available, plugged it into harnes with all connections made and it works on hi speed but still only partly moves on low speed filled it with degreaser this eve and i will try again tomorrow.
i dont understand how the switch thing on gearbox lid works as its just a plastic point on the inside of the lid

it looks very complicated using a watch main spring on the gearbox, if i have to remove all the internals is it likely to unwind at all or is it simple ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts