Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to de cipher the wire color codes on a radiator cooling fan I got off of a '94 t bird. there is a blue wire,a black wire and a light brown wire, w/ orange stripe.
I am trying to use this on my buick regal, and I am using an aftermarket preset fan thermostat kit. I know the black one is ground,but not sure on the other two.

I tested it today,and using the brown wire as the + wire,and the blue as the - wire,the wires got very hot.
what am I doing wrong? and,how much amps do these fans draw??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffW on 9/27/06 8:39am ]</font>

·
Registered
712 Posts
The fan is a 2 speed fan, the black is ground. I am almost certain that the one with the orange stripe is high, and the blue is low. You can always check by using test leads and a battery, black the ground post, blue to pos. for a couple seconds, then swap the test lead to the orange stripe wire, you can definately tell which one is high speed. My fan motor has a + and - cast into the plastic part of the motor where the plug goes in.

The motors pull 30-40 amps, and 100+ amps when starting up, but only for a couple milliseconds. They pull an astronomical amount of air though. I have one on my '73 Montego that I swapped a Mark 8 fan motor because it spins faster, the fan blade is the same design.

I cannot remember for certain but I believe the orange stripe wire is high. You will need a heavy duty relay, I have a Hayden Adj. Thermostatic fan trigger. It triggers 4 Motorcraft 30amp relays on pigtails in a radioshack project box. I went through 1 thermostatic switch because I had just it running the fan, and no other relays. I also am running a 130a alt.
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh, so I can choose either wire, and pick the speed I want? cool!!
since it's cooling a 540 hp big block buick engine, I better choose the high speed
I'll pick up 2 more relays, and wire them in series together.
my alt is a 94 amp unit,only extra loads I have are my fuel pump,and ignition system thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
These fans cool greatly, mine is cooling a 357 Cleveland.

·
Registered
908 Posts
On 2006-09-26 19:41, jeffW wrote:
since it's cooling a 540 hp big block buick engine, I better choose the high speed
my alt is a 94 amp unit,only extra loads I have are my fuel pump,and ignition system thanks for the info!!

Wire them in parallel, both on the same positive wire sharing the load. Works great!

GReg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-09-26 19:56, GregP wrote:
On 2006-09-26 19:41, jeffW wrote:

Wire them in parallel, both on the same positive wire sharing the load. Works great!

GReg
ok, that means running the wires betewwn the same identical terminals ie: terminal 30 to 30, 87 to 87 etc???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a test ,and the brown wire w/orange stripe is the high speed, and man is it ever!! that thing pulled so very hard,bout pulled outa my hand!!
now, do i ground the black wire to the frame,or to the neg post of the battery??

now,as to wiring relays in parallel does that mean running the wires between the same identical terminals ie: terminal 30 to 30, 87 to 87 etc???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffW on 9/27/06 10:18pm ]</font>

·
Registered
908 Posts
Can't remember the numbers on the relays, but I ran two power wires off of the battery into two 30 amp fuses, and then into two 30 amp relays. Then I soldered the two #10 wires to a #8 wire and ran that all the way to the positive terminal on the fan.

You can wire the pull in terminals of the individual relays together, and you can do the grounds the same way.

Greg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, thanks for the info!! I am using a ford style starter solenoid mounted on the firewall,I guess I could tap into one of the small terminals on it.
do i ground the black motor wire to the frame,or to the neg post of the battery?? (battery in trunk)
and then run the wires from the fan thermostat control kit as per it's instructions? do those wires have to be connected to both relays,or just the power feed wires?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffW on 9/28/06 8:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
908 Posts
The temp controller will simply connect to the two pull in terminals of the two relays.

The motor must be well grounded, it's up to you to be sure it is grounded well. I grounded mine to the battery terminal, but my battery was not in the trunk!

Greg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sorry for being so electrically stupid
here's how my relay terminals are coded. terminal 30= 12v+ BAT
87= fan motor +
85= to temp probe
86= ground
so, I guess I could connect the 12+ BAT wire from term# 30 of the main relay,and run another one to the same identical terminal on another identical relay,and ground both relays to frame.(not sure if I would need to run the other wires to the 2nd relay)
these terminal positions I have mentioned are from my controller's instruction sheet. (I'm trying to keep the wiring as simple as possible)

now if I could only figure out how to be able to select either speed as needed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffW on 9/29/06 8:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
83 Posts
On 2006-09-28 17:32, jeffW wrote:

now if I could only figure out how to be able to select either speed as needed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffW on 9/29/06 8:34am ]</font>
im in the process of doing a Taurus fan and wiring 2 relays,one 40 amp for the low speed and one 75 amp for the high speed, each with its own switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tried to do a test run of the fan, my battery is in the trunk,so I ran the groung wire from the fan,to the neg terminal. I flipped the manual override switch I wired in, and it blew the dome light/trunk light fuse. it is wired correctly,according to the directions in the fan controller package.

what did I do wrong?? and what can I do to to correct it (I HATE DOING WIRING)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffW on 10/3/06 3:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally figured out what I did wrong, I think it'll work now (I hope)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffW on 10/3/06 7:54am ]</font>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts