Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having to rebuild my under dash wiring harness for my F100, the resistor wire burned up, along with a few other wires. My question is there is another wire that came off the same terminal on the ign switch as the resistor wire, the wire(it is red w/ green stripe I think) was spliced with another wire coming from the insturment cluster and went out to the engine bay somewere. The wire in the engine bay is blue with a female connector. Anyone know what this is for, or were i might be able to find a wiring diagram. I have one for a 73-79 however I cant seem to locate it on there.
The truck has factory air and a temp gauge, oil dummy light.
thanks for any help

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MGT351 on 12/27/01 11:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone???

·
Registered
16 Posts
351 I have a ser man for a 70 Ford truck, it has the wiring diagram for the electronic ign they had in that day, but only a basic one for the reg Ign. system. It has no color code either. Try some Ford dealers with a good parts man mind you I said a good one some still have their manuals on micro fich. These older trucks fed everything off the ign. or run term. of the switch. There should be (I think) a blue wire to the + side of coil. Also the resistor wire should go to this wire at a junctionplug along with a wire from the I term. of the starter switch that gives the coil a full 12 volts when in the start position, then drops back to the resistor wire voltage. You could use a ballast resistor off an early like a 56 Ford or GM car & do away with the resistor wire altogether. Just wire from the run term of ign sw to the res & a wire from I term on on magnetic sw along with wire to coil off the other term of ballast resistor. One 12v wire to resistor & I term wire & coil wire on the other side of resistor. This is the same theory Ford used only it was changed to a wire instead of a resistor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take a look at the two wires on the small posts of your starter solenoid. The one closest to the battery comes from the ign. switch to activate the solenoid during "start". The other one is the ignition bypass wire that puts 12 volts directly during "start". This bypass wire goes into the harness under the dash to bypass the resistor wire. Check the color on it for a match to the one under the dash.

It is dark here now, but I will check my '67 F100 and the extra harness I have in the garage tomorrow, and get back to you.

Eddie

'59 F100
'70 F100

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OLdFords on 1/2/02 8:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the "jumper" wire from the small starter post is brown. the harness w/ the resistor wire has a plug at the firewall inside where the jumper meets it and goes out together as one on the other side of the plug and runs to the coil. The wire I am trying to figure out comes off the ignition switch with the resistor wire and runs along side of the harness (that has the resistor wire in it) it joins with a wire coming off the insturment cluster and runs out to the engine bay and becomes a solid blue wire w/ a female connector on the end. I need to know what this wire is for?
my truck has Factory air if this helps

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the "jumper" wire from the small starter post is brown. the harness w/ the resistor wire has a plug at the firewall inside where the jumper meets it and goes out together as one on the other side of the plug and runs to the coil. The wire I am trying to figure out comes off the ignition switch with the resistor wire and runs along side of the harness (that has the resistor wire in it) it joins with a wire coming off the insturment cluster and runs out to the engine bay and becomes a solid blue wire w/ a female connector on the end. I need to know what this wire is for?
my truck has Factory air if this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts