Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am trying to figure out some of my wiring issues with my new 66 galaxie convertible. First I had an issue charging, this turned out to have wrong wiring to the voltage regulator (green/red wire and Black/gold). This is fixed now I have a couple questions and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I bought a wire diagram and am trying to work my way through the car.

1. This is my main one: If you pull the taillights out of the housing will your blinkers work? (Mine do not). It seems like they need to be in there to complete the circuit but my diagram doesn't show the ground sign for the taillights like it does for the dash blinker bulb.

2. My dash bulbs don't work unless I physically connect a wire to the bulb and to a ground.

3. Also, I have no brake lights.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I just spent the last several hours trying to get this figured out.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Hey everyone, I am trying to figure out some of my wiring issues with my new 66 galaxie convertible. First I had an issue charging, this turned out to have wrong wiring to the voltage regulator (green/red wire and Black/gold). This is fixed now I have a couple questions and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I bought a wire diagram and am trying to work my way through the car.

1. This is my main one: If you pull the taillights out of the housing will your blinkers work? (Mine do not). It seems like they need to be in there to complete the circuit but my diagram doesn't show the ground sign for the taillights like it does for the dash blinker bulb.
It does not show a Ground because the Light housing is grounded via it's mounting points.
2. My dash bulbs don't work unless I physically connect a wire to the bulb and to a ground.
{/quote]same here, dash must be grounded
3. Also, I have no brake lights.
make sure the brake light switch and fuse are good
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I just spent the last several hours trying to get this figured out.

Thanks!
You're doing OK, you only have the non working brake lights to contend with as far as what I can read.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will check the brake fuse, I didn't realize that was a fuse down there. Do you know where I'm suppose to ground the dash bulbs? The dash bulbs housing seems to be plastic?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I've seen some with resetting circuit breakers instead of a fuse, so they try to work even if shorted. You'll have to follow the wiring to find what you have. I find it helpful to photocopy the wiring pages, and use colored pencils to trace the wiring I'm interested in. Makes it much easier to track as I go. Light and dash assemblies usually ground through their bodies or assembly mounting screws, though some have a short grounding wire or strap. It has to ground somewhere, so keep looking at it until it makes sense where that is.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts