Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a one wire alternator in my 66 mustang and I also put the battery in the trunk. My question is that I want to move my starter solenoid back two feet so it sits next to the hood hinge so it it more out of sight. What wires should there be connected to the hot side of the terminal? Someone ripped the wiring diagrams out of my shop manual so I cant look there. I know the Alt. lead there, there are 2 more, a fat yellow one that runs into the headlight harness to the regulator(which I removed) and one w/ 2 wires that goes to the dash. I think I don't need the one that goes in the front harness, can anyone verify this?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I was looking in to putting the battery in the trunk also, my mechanic said he likes to move the solenoid under the hood hinge as part of the move, so I would guess that it might be a common practice, one advantage is that the starter wire would be much shorter. I looked at my car and noticed that the wires going to the solenoid would not be long enough if it was moved under the hinge, so I assumed they would be lengthened with a connector and correct gauge wire. Sorry I know that did not help much.

I would like to know how that one wire feed to your alternator worked, and how the installation went.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Personally, I like moving the solenoid into the interior of the car. (even had one installed on my previous brand X that way).
I spoze not running a heater on any of my vehicles, (and all the other unnecessary streetable crap......even when I streeted them), was a space saver, but it sure cleaned up the engine compartment.
Mounted all of the electronics where the passengers feet would be, and then above that as well. (msd box/coil, etc.)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it in. it was really easy. I just left the wires the way they were with the conmnections for the alternator and the regulator trimmed off. Works great and the engine compartment looks alot better. My only complaint is that I could only find one in chrome, and it is the only chrome thing under my hood besides my air cleaner.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Better paint your motor, get a chrome oil filter cover, chrome V.C. breathers and T-boltz, and chrome dipstick. lol

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts