Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
347 based on an early 302.
Ran beautiful on dyno but, in the car, developed a Calackity, clackity . diagnosed as piston slap, at first but, got a bit louder, so back to the builder.
torn down & now back from builder, in car.
First start up - stuttering, shaking, running on 4-5 cylinders,
shut down after approx. a minute of this, missing, shaking, backfires.
Brought to TDC, power stroke, rotor on #1, firing order a-ok
H.O. - 1,3,7,2 -6,5,4,8
Called builder- Yes i set the rockers
Checked distro - Petronix Flame thrower- air gap of module was off, maybe 2x what it should be
Could it be that simple? - Anyway, plugs were soaked in gas on cylinders that didn;t fire, little gun shy of trying her again, just because i didn;t find any glaring errors
Next on the list- Check rocker arms i guess?
Other than rockers, i have no idea where to go from here.
Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
347 based on an early 302.
Ran beautiful on dyno but, in the car, developed a Calackity, clackity . diagnosed as piston slap, at first but, got a bit louder, so back to the builder.
torn down & now back from builder, in car.
So what was the diagnosis?
First start up - stuttering, shaking, running on 4-5 cylinders,
shut down after approx. a minute of this, missing, shaking, backfires.
Brought to TDC, power stroke, rotor on #1, firing order a-ok
H.O. - 1,3,7,2 -6,5,4,8
Called builder- Yes i set the rockers
You or the shop set the valves? What did the builder suggest the problem may be? So it was not out of time? (I am not familiar with which firing order it needs/should be)
Checked distro - Petronix Flame thrower- air gap of module was off, maybe 2x what it should be
Could it be that simple?
Not sure what you mean by "2X's what it should be", but sounds like maybe you found the problem, try it, thats the only way to eliminate and diagnose.
- Anyway, plugs were soaked in gas on cylinders that didn;t fire, little gun shy of trying her again, just because i didn;t find any glaring errors
See above
Next on the list- Check rocker arms i guess?
Other than rockers, i have no idea where to go from here.
Suggestions welcome!
Yes I would say that would be the next step if its still missing badly...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
H.O firing order
motor built by a very well known, respected shop here ,also builds 95% of Cascar motors.
With the Petronix module they give you a little piece of plastic to gap it, air gap from module face to distro. shaft .30. Mine was 2 or 3 x that gap.
I reset the module & i;m going through the rocker arms today, i will try again once i;ve checked rockers.
Original noise - 1 main bearing scored was discovered & fixed.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Is that a new flamethrower and coil? Might need to bypass the ballast resistor. Maybe you need 12v to the coil and the stock wiring is only giving you half as much

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before i kick her over again, i am trying to make sure I find the cause, u know,
Damn raw fuel pouring into my motor! I;m sure my oil is saturated,
Maybe i;m over reacting,eh
anyway, finish up checking my roller rockers, try again

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts