Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a stock T-5 in my '65 Mustang. I'm planning on building a 351 stroker (money permitting) with 400+ hp and I was considering a better trans. Here's my questions:
1) How much HP will a stock T-5 handle?
2) Can a T-5 be beefed up to handle 400+ hp for less money that the price of a world class T-5?
3) Is there a whole different trans that I should consider?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
blackjack...

All T-5's after late 1985 are "World Class"!!

Go to:

http://www.5speeds.com

This and other sites can answer all your ???'s.....

I have a 1988 4 cylinder T-5 behind a 408W stroker in my Cobra replica and it does fine....For now!! The key is not to jam gears...especially 3rd and not to dump the clutch at 5000 RPM's with slicks!!

If you plan on such abuse get a Richmond tranny....They can handle a lot of torture, but you will pay $5000.00+++ to put one in!! A T-5z from FMS can be had for $1200.00 or so and will handle 330 ft. lbs. OK....My T-5 is rated at 240 ft. lbs. and I decided not to worry about it until it breaks??!!

The guy who built my Cobra has a customer who drag races his Cobra with the same trans I have and has 500+ HP motor similar to mine in front of it!! He's been doing it for 4 years......maybe he's just lucky or maybe T-5's can stand a lot more than we think????

Good Luck,
Cobrajack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/19/02 6:43pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/19/02 6:45pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/19/02 6:46pm ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CobraJack. I'm glad to hear that I don't really need to spend a ton of money on my trans. It's bad enough that I spent about $900 getting it in there (exhaust, drive shaft, bell housing, trans, mounts, ect.). I have heard about a hardend input shaft sleeve that suposed to allow the throw out bearing to slide better. I would also like to know if there are higher over drive gears. Thanks again, I'm going to do some searching on the net and pick up some of my old magazines to see if I can find some more info.

·
Registered
359 Posts
On 2002-01-19 06:40, Cobrajack wrote:
blackjack...

All T-5's after late 1985 are "World Class"!!

Go to:

http://www.5speeds.com

This and other sites can answer all your ???'s.....

I have a 1988 4 cylinder T-5 behind a 408W stroker in my Cobra replica and it does fine....For now!! The key is not to jam gears...especially 3rd and not to dump the clutch at 5000 RPM's with slicks!!

If you plan on such abuse get a Richmond tranny....They can handle a lot of torture, but you will pay $5000.00+++ to put one in!! A T-5z from FMS can be had for $1200.00 or so and will handle 330 ft. lbs. OK....My T-5 is rated at 240 ft. lbs. and I decided not to worry about it until it breaks??!!

The guy who built my Cobra has a customer who drag races his Cobra with the same trans I have and has 500+ HP motor similar to mine in front of it!! He's been doing it for 4 years......maybe he's just lucky or maybe T-5's can stand a lot more than we think????

Good Luck,
Cobrajack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/19/02 6:43pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/19/02 6:45pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/19/02 6:46pm ]</font>
No all t-5's after 85 and not world class it was all in 85 were world class and after that it was an option, we just took out a 5 speed of of my friends 89 mustang and is most certainy is not a world class

1 - 5 of 5 Posts