Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

World Class T5 whats the difference?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lxoutlw 
#1 ·
what does a WC t-5 have that a regular t-5 doesnt and is there any parts you can buy for a wc to make it as strong as say a Tremec any info that you have would be helpful

#4 ·
"World Class" is a marketing slogan. Some punk Ford engineer probably went to a training course about "World Class" quality or something.

Actually they do have better shift synchro's. That's about it. A T-5 is never gonna hold up like a Tremec. I saw a mag article once where they had the cases open side by side. The gears on the Tremec were substantially larger than the T-5 gears. If you are buying a new trans, don't even think about buying a T-5. Just my 2Cents...

#5 ·
I agree the Tremac is a much stronger tranny. However, not all of us have the 1600 bucks to lay down for one, plus the special bellhousing and shifter, and in some cases, clutch. Project 11.99 has been using a t5 for a several years and according to our "Ed's" has never faltered after a bunch of strip passes. If you're on a budget, look out for 90-93 t-5's as they have some improvements and a higher torque rating. The latest t5-z tranny has a 330lb torque rating.

#7 ·
You can upgrade to the z-spec T5 stuff which is a different 1st gear to increase the torque rating. That is all new gears to purchase though.

I have been reading up on rebuilding T5s and most ppl say the critical thing is to eliminate input shaft endplay. If the shaft moves to much is when things don't work out like you hoped

After that point your options are pretty much the Tremec 3550 or Tremec TKO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.