Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, I just opened the can and what would you know?

For those following, I have owned this 66 fairlane for 3 weeks.

I was told by the PO that It was in need of a new Vac Adv, that was why it sputtered at steady highway speeds...

My dad called BS, Turns out it's lean.
I took apart the ADV and it's fine.

Edelbrock 600 CFM, now I have to figure out how to change jets. We were going to adj the valves, make sure the lifter rods were straight when we noticed that the two roller rockers on each side closest to the wall werent moving much.

We measured the travel of both intakes and they were moving less than half of the others....hmmmm.

So, I grab'd the can opener and took off the intake.

2 dead lifters. Then raplaced those to find two dead lobes on the cam.

This didnt surprise My dad seeing as how he was already bitching about the manifold bolts being rediculously loose, one hand tight.

Also, The fact that the PO spraypainted the hoses, clamps, and everything else he could get paint in red.

There werent any gaskets anywhere, all different kinds of silicone....is there any reason for that? One guy at the shop said gaskets blow out, my dad said he's an idiot and there needs to be gaskets.

Dads been wrenching for 40+ years so I'll take his word for it.

Also, he mentioned the cam wasnt broken in correctly using oil additives, anyone heard of this?

Needless to say, were replacing the cam with what was in there, Crane 272 284 powermax Hydraulic, anyone have any experience with these?

Noticed the heads were ported polished and decked, with Crane springs...should we go with a bigger carb and intake? it has a performer 289, but the intake runners are nowwhere near as big as the head intakes....

BTW, we came to the conclusion that the motor has never actually been out of the car..this wasnt really confidence inspiring..

One more thing, the two bolts holding the cam plate on were finder tight if that...was this over looked by the PO or should there be some sort of locktite on them?

Thanks in advance..
Later
Hodge

66 Fairlane 2DR
Obviously Abused.
Woods Screws, Bondo, Sprayfoam.
Red (Everywhere!)

·
Registered
614 Posts
sometimes the deal is actually to good to be true, but atleast you have somewhere to start off and have a good base to work with

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Sounds like its finally found a good home!

I ran that cam in the very first engine I ever rebuilt back in the late 80's! It's a GOOD camshaft! It delivers incredible midrange. Be sure to install the correct springs, and check the rocker arm geometry. If using the stock rockers, make sure the slot is long enough, so it doesn't bind on the rocker stud.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
>Edelbrock 600 CFM, now I have to figure out how to change jets.
Get the tuning kit for and Ed carb.

>There werent any gaskets anywhere, all different kinds of
>silicone....is there any reason for that? One guy at the shop
>said gaskets blow out, my dad said he's an idiot and there >needs to be gaskets.

>Dads been wrenching for 40+ years so I'll take his word for it.
Your dad is correct

>Also, he mentioned the cam wasnt broken in correctly using oil
> additives, anyone heard of this?
Happens a lot, use the search and read up

>Noticed the heads were ported polished and decked, with
>Crane springs...should we go with a bigger carb and intake? it
>has a performer 289, but the intake runners are nowwhere
>near as big as the head intakes....

Depends - with that cam I'd say the heads are way over cooked. If you intend to run the compression necessary for a bigger cam, then you can cam it up and up the intake and carb.

>One more thing, the two bolts holding the cam plate on were
>finder tight if that...was this over looked by the PO or should
>there be some sort of locktite on them?
There is a torque spec for every fastener in the engine. Find it, use it. Blue Loctite on those is a good idea.

Thanks in advance..
Later
Hodge

66 Fairlane 2DR
Obviously Abused.
Red (Everywhere!)

[/quote]

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
sounds like your dad has got it handled,live and learn.should be a nice engine when its put together properly.there is all the info youll need on the net for getting it sorted--good luck

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That's cool that you have your dad there to sort out all the problems. It's nice to have someone with experience show you things that need to be fixed and how to do it. I bet it'll run like a scalded dog when it's all said and done!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I bought this so we would have something to do together...It's working!

I'll get some loctite.

I do have roller rockers, so Im ok there.

We are going to get it running again in the am. from that point on it's gonna be body body body...

BTW, found the timing chain gear drilled out so it would fit on the cam...AND the timing chain cover was broken in half and siliconed back together...uugh. Guess Im goin to the bone yard.

Thanks for the info...
Later
Hodge
66 Fairlane 2DR
Obviously Abused.
Red (Everywhere!)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hodge,
With all those problems you better check your hot oil pressure and make sure you have some. If the car doesn't have a mechanical gauge on it I would get one and verify that you have at least 18 - 20 psi at hot idle. Your bottom end could be as bad as your top end. That would result in low oil pressure. If the bottom end is badly worn you would be better off to pull the motor and repair the bottom and top end at the same time. Even salty Dad's miss stuff every once in a while. Bruce

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey Hodge, hate to say but sounds like you got a bum rap...but at least a cool car to start with.
I'd say the engine should come out and get a tear down, that way you don't throw a bunch of good parts at a damaged engine.
Remember if all else fails and the thing gets you major po'd, walk away from it for a little bit and come back mellowed out. Well, ok, some times, cussing works. LOL!
Welcome to the group.
Oh, the POS that cobbled your engine...should be shot for painting it red. Must of been a chevy guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts