Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped out the turn signal switch hoping to fix my blinker issues. Things might be worse now. Key on, nothing else. The rear lights flash along with dash lights. But the blinkers will work (fronts flash while rears keep flashing). Headlights on I'm back to solid markers again. Hazards work fine. Does anyone have the wiring color diagram to the plug? Maybe that has been messed up some time in the past.
Brian

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just swapped out the turn signal switch hoping to fix my blinker issues. Things might be worse now. Key on, nothing else. The rear lights flash along with dash lights. But the blinkers will work (fronts flash while rears keep flashing). Headlights on I'm back to solid markers again. Hazards work fine. Does anyone have the wiring color diagram to the plug? Maybe that has been messed up some time in the past.
Brian

bg you gonna hafta do a better explanation than that all I figured out was the lights flash, but am not for sure what you are doing to get them to flash.... (left side right side hazzard?) help US help YOU....;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a diagram. I hooked them up as they were in the old switch. It's difficult to explain with so many symptoms. You turn the key on and dash lights and taillights flash and the turn signals (front) flash. Pull parking lights or headlights on the flashing stops but turn signal switch now gives you a solid light again instead of flashing. Hope that's a little better of a description.
Brian

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ya thanks, a little more bettah. I will type this as i think it over as to what you are saying (I think) lights off/dead car, turn key switch to run and ALL corners(or rears only) flash including the indicators on the dash?
That would mean a switched hot is backfeeding thru the brake light switch.(altho I am uncertain why they would flash too)

Pull the switch out to either position and they quit flashing. (inside and rears?)

Try turn signals with light switch in either position and key on solid dash lights but nothing else "brightens"?

Will wait to see if i totally understand..... ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I know the wires go in the plug. My pin removal tool was not working well and I didn't want to damage the plug trying to remove the pins. That's what I'm working with though.
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Close. With parking or lights on nothing flashes out of place blinkers are solid if you hit the switch. When the lights are off and key on just the dash lights and rears flash. If you hit the blinker then the fronts flash as they should.
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
LOL... ok lemmie c lights on(either park/head) key on left blinker on, left side front on dash on rear on, no flash? (same for right side)?

Man I am havin a hard time tonight so bare wit me...

Well cover the other base when we swing at it.... lol ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. On but solid. When lights are off and dash/rear lights are flashing fronts will work properly with turn signal.
Brian

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
man i am confusing myself. key off rear/dash flash with no input fron T/S switch

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Gol'dang, me head hurts now.... lol ok key off "normal"

Key On, T/S Off??? _________

one step at a time please.... lol or we can continue tomorrow....lol

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
WOW, what a PIA that is... has to be a wire pinned wrong/switched. (probably two wires or poss 3 not in the correct pin placement. I am unfamiliar with your vehicle and have no idea what wire goes to where.

If it were me and I didnt have a diagram for car I would test each wire single-y and mark them accordingly. Did the T/S have a wiring diagram/pin out chart? FE needed to stick around a bit more.... lol

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
ok no diagram came with the t/s switch? did it have the connector attached, or did you have to use old one? T/S switch has 7 wires?

May hafta wait for wiring reinforcements tomorrow...lol

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Didn't see what the original issue was before changing the switch, but lemme toss this out there as it can be a weird one...if someone puts a single filament bulb in a double filament socket, you get all sorts of weird feedback issues...when looking thru the schematics consider what if the two hot wires on a dual bulb were shorted in this way.
Brother had a van this happened on, was a chore to find. Sure sounds like a switch issue though in your case, but just wanted to toss out this reminder...

Hope you guys all have a great Thanksgiving,
Tim

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had all 4 corner bulbs out and all are dual element. I see some generic electrical tape on wires behind the switch plug. Next thing I will do is look at that wiring some. It's a weird issue no doubt. :/
Thanks for input.
Brian

1 - 20 of 60 Posts