Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a been throwing around the idea for a while on changing my intake. I think the RPM air gap is holding me back but since it is just a street car I just have been running it this way for a while since that is what I had laying around. I am just not sure if this would really help or not. What do you all think if I was to put a Vic Jr on the combo below? Waste of time or should have been done a long time ago? Does anybody have a dyno test or track times from a faily healty 347 like mine between the two intakes? I have not really seen any tests to show really what the results are on a healty 347.

342 STROKER stock block
10:5:1 COMPRESSION
COMP CAMS EXTREME ENERGY tight lash FLAT TAPPET SOLID LIFTER CAMSHAFT 564 LIFTIN/EX. DURATION 252,IN/260, EX. @ .050. VALVE LASH SET AT .09 COLD.
TEA 205 CNC PORTED TRICK FLOW TWISTED WEDGE HEADS,
PERFORMER RPM AIR GAP opened up to the 1262 fel-pro
HOLLEY 830CFM
HOOKER 1 5/8 LONG TUBE HEADERS, 3inch DR.GAS X PIPE KIT. GER CUSTOM BUILT AOD with 3000 STALL NON lock up converter. STALL CONVERTER NOT FROM GER. 411POSI

·
Registered
749 Posts
No way. At least not out of the box. Looking at the flow sheet for your heads....they aint the prob...if you have one.

Nice Stang btw

·
Registered
749 Posts
Doh...your talking the intake not the heads. Actually....I dont know

My guess is it would have more peak power at WOT in the upper rpm band of your engine but might have a noticable loss of torque driving around town.

81 Mustang 351W/AOD 12.13 111.7
87 octane...street and highway driven.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qtrhors on 4/1/06 6:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think you'll pick up 20-30 HP with the vic Jr. The low end torque might be down 10 ft lbs on the bottom end but thats not where you are building real power anyway. You have a big cam and big heads. The manifold is holding you back.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-03-31 16:25, chipmechanic wrote:
I think you'll pick up 20-30 HP with the vic Jr. The low end torque might be down 10 ft lbs on the bottom end but thats not where you are building real power anyway. You have a big cam and big heads. The manifold is holding you back.
This is kind of what I was thinking but I just didn't know. So I am going to have to just try it and see what it does. Heck if I don't like it I can always just throw the RPM manifold back on but I really think on my combo the vic jr will do me better. Thanks guys for the comments.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The Jr will make a lot more power above 7000 RPM, but below 5000, the RPM is a lot nicer to drive around. Much more responsive to throttle input. Also, the RPM will make more low end power but at the expense of some HP above 7000. Speaking from experience here. I did the swap a few years ago on my Mustang. Had a Jr on it...and I loved it. Swapped to the RPM and loved it even more. But then again, it was a POS stock iron headed 6500 max rpm hydraulic roller junker 302...so yours will respond differently.

But I'd say that with the small cubic inches and the "large" heads, you'd be better off with the RPM...if you do any street driving at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts