Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1963 or 64 galaxie 500 in need of alot of repair ..im not a professional mechanic nor body worker but i can do my own mechanical issues on my vehicles and handy when working on cars...The question is Do you all this car is repairable at home or will i need to take it to a shop and pay someone to fix it or just leave as a loss cause main concern would be the rust everything else i can handle i can make the car turn on...thanks for ur imput very much appreciated

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man, I’d say with the lack of availability of parts, the extent of damage, and the unfortunate undervalued market for these cars, you’re better off finding another one in better shape. If you have to hire the work done, you’ll easily spend much, much more than what you could buy a really nice one for. If a guy just wanted a weekend project for several years to tinker with himself, then maybe. I just don’t think you have enough there to come out alright. Hurts to say it, though. In my eyes, that would be a parts car for the better one you’ll get next. Good luck whatever you do!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Man, I’d say with the lack of availability of parts, the extent of damage, and the unfortunate undervalued market for these cars, you’re better off finding another one in better shape. If you have to hire the work done, you’ll easily spend much, much more than what you could buy a really nice one for. If a guy just wanted a weekend project for several years to tinker with himself, then maybe. I just don’t think you have enough there to come out alright. Hurts to say it, though. In my eyes, that would be a parts car for the better one you’ll get next. Good luck whatever you do!
I think seven litre is correct, unless you go another route. how about (since your are mechanically inclined) you purchase a MIG welder, some scrape metal, and learn to replace the metal yourself. You will save a ton of money and have cool tools afterwards. Oh yeah, you will learn a new skill set too. There is lots of videos and help now on the Internet to help you. Car shows, friends, and retail stores in the car business that will help you learn. If it becomes too much, stop and buy another car as seven litre says. Scrap out the car you have for some extra cash. I would go this route. Its fun and rewarding to fix an old car up. Give it a try

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think seven litre is correct, unless you go another route. how about (since your are mechanically inclined) you purchase a MIG welder, some scrape metal, and learn to replace the metal yourself. You will save a ton of money and have cool tools afterwards. Oh yeah, you will learn a new skill set too. There is lots of videos and help now on the Internet to help you. Car shows, friends, and retail stores in the car business that will help you learn. If it becomes too much, stop and buy another car as seven litre says. Scrap out the car you have for some extra cash. I would go this route. Its fun and rewarding to fix an old car up. Give it a try
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT..I DID SOME RESEARCH OVER THE WEEKEND AND YES LOOKS LIKE I COULD LEARN A NEW SKILL...LOOKS LIKE I CAN DO IT BY MY SELF WITH TIME..THANKS AGAIN GUYS:)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I think that most of that sheet metal is available, the trunk floor and quarters, etc. It is probably worse than it looks, but on the bright side, you get to buy new tools and learn new skills, so it couldn't be all bad. New tools is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hang w/somebody experienced who's nice. Sweep their shop, take out trash, something. Or have them come over to yours. Pay w/beer, food, cash? I could never have got where I am w/out others !
Make sure its a car you have some passion or at least a dream about. It's gunna take alot out of you, B frustrating, expensive, long time, etc.
Keep it out of the weather, try'n work on it out of the weather.
Think of it in phases (safety 1st, running 2nd, etc) & wrk that way.
Research the s4!+ out of it so U know whats possible, correct, etc. ID everything U can on this vehicle as it's 50 yrs old and stuff has been swapped out, in and wrong.
Make a plan (offa da research) on restore, mod, rest0mod, etc. Stick w/that plan to the end. I seen too many hack job cuz somebody started 1 way, jerked the other mid stream, came back B4 finished and off on a 3rd. Wastea time, and money, looks like dukie. Not well researched, plan shaky. As U no frm doin this there's a few opportunities for new tools, innovate rather than buy if possible. Good Luck.
Have Fun, B Safe and Productive!

·
Registered
107 Posts

I bought a basket case a few years ago. Don't go into this with the delusion of making or saving money on this project. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a nice car to start off with. But if you are going into it as a hobby and to learn some new skills then have at it. That car is never going to be concourse or win shows. But it can be a decent driver if you work for it. Panels are available but I suggest only buying them for visible areas like the rear quarters. For floor pans, ect. get yourself some sheet metal, a bead roller, and a brake. After buying the tools it will cost about the same as buying the panels but now you'll have the tools. And more importantly you'll gain some experience making the panels yourself, which is what the project should be about. I've had my car for six years and I'm finally putting the trim on it. But I've learned a lot that will make future projects faster and easier.

·
Registered
128 Posts
mine was in need of pans and had other issues but I have 40 years in automotive field and I replaced the pans and just tubed the car now its more or less a race car my build took 5 years so if you are willing to be patient and invest the time and learn from the fountain of knowledge that's quickly disappearing go for it just don't give up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts