Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a 289 block, a 289 crank, 347 rods, and 347 pistons? I know it wouldnt be a 347, something smaller, but i dont really care. WOuld it work though? I am just trying to get a little more than the 302ci. Also trying to save money. Anyone know of any way to stroke a 289 for cheap, i mean under 700 bucks cheap. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I wish I knew what the ultimate displacement of your engine combo would be. However, why not go for the 347? The cost of parts would should be just a tiny bit more than what you're describing. The machining and assembly costs (if you don't assemble it yourself) will remain the same. There are many much more knowledgeable types on this great board who I am sure will correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
On 2002-04-10 18:42, andysam wrote:
Ok, a 289 block, a 289 crank, 347 rods, and 347 pistons? I know it wouldnt be a 347, something smaller, but i dont really care. WOuld it work though? I am just trying to get a little more than the 302ci. Also trying to save money. Anyone know of any way to stroke a 289 for cheap, i mean under 700 bucks cheap. thanks

If the rods are short or longer it still wont change how far they are sent up and down the bore by the crankshaft they will just start and stop at different points

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here is a guick look at what I found in only 5 minutes
Proline cast crank 3.4 stroke $225
Scat I beam rods 5.40" length chevy or ford pin. $239
from www.flatlanderracing.com
Keith Black hyperutectic pistons KB246 flat top just over 10.0 to 1 with 64cc head $288 From www.dirttrackthunder.com so add it all up you are just over $750 for all hard parts, add bearings, rings, machine work, cam lifters, timing set, oil pump, plus a good set of heads and 350HP should be childs play and still run on pump gas. what do you all think of this idea for a cheap build.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
if you're gonna use a 4" bore and stock 289 crank (2.87" stroke), you will still have a 289. why would anyone spend the money on a long-rod 289, they already have longer rods than a 302w. The little 289's love rpm...they have a real appetite, just add a roller cam and lifters along with good quality rod bolts and good flowing heads, and it will be good for around 350 HP if not more, at around 8000 rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts