Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger door window in my 68 Fairlane fell in tonight. So, I had to buy some sealant, muck around in the freezing cold and snow to fix the G.D. thing. The runner the slider goes up and down on broke too, thank god I have a parts car at my disposal, or it would of been a very short attempt to fix.
So, it's dark, -3c, kinda snowing, things were breaking, gotta love working on cars eh. And I couldnt leave the window down cuz of the snow and the neighbourhood I live in, so it had to be done. Happy friggin new year.
I'm done now, time to get drunk and warm up with the wife.
I bitched cuz I had nothing really to do on the car and this happens, be carefull what you ask for I guess.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Rick

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldnt you know, it was kinda nice out today and the wife opened the window, the GD thing fell again. What do you guys use to keep the window in the channel. I bought some urathane window goop and let it set-up for a few days before I let the wife open it. I gooped it up real good, now I have to scrape the goop off and do it again.
Any pointers, I like the fact the Cougar has bolt in windows, are the 69 bolt in or glue in. I know they changed the Cougars in 70, and some 69 Cougars had bolt in, is that the same with the Fairlane.
I'm changing doors in the spring cuz the parts car doors are in mint shape but have no widows in it but dont want to change yet cuz it's still winter and dont want anyone hitting the new door, it will bound to happen when I change doors.

Thanx.

Rick

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've never seen a 69 Fairlane/Torino with bolt in windows. As far as I know it was just the Stang and Coug that got them.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Sorry to say it's probably best to get a window from junk yard that still is mounted to the base with factory stuff. I had tried for years using everything I could to permanently mount the window of my '69 390GT fastback but the driver window kept falling out. My dad then had the same trouble in his '68 390GT Cyclone and tried epoxy(tried many times) and even etched the glass so it would bond better but even little scratches fron 400 grit sand paper caused the window to break one day while parked in the sun from being under stress with weatherstripping(normal stress). I tried many and all kinds of epoxy recomended by body shops and glass places but would eventually fall out again. etching the glass worked the best but the sratches also caused the window to break. What cured the falling out window problems was going to the junk yard and getting used window with bases that were still attached with factory stuff. Has been about 6 years on the Cyclone now without any more problems and I sold my '69 Torino GT 390 about 3 1/2 years ago but it worked up to when I sold it. Maybe some type of media blaster in the glue/epoxy area will work permanently and not weaken the glass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts