Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad news,
Monday night I hydroplaned on the highway. I rolled my '92 5.0 lx coupe (ouch). The good news is that I only received minor bruises and cuts (thank god for seat belts!), the bad news is that the car is totaled. The insurance company is giving me blue book value, but I plan to buy the car back for the salvage price. Could anyone tell me what the wreck is worth? The engine (stock), T5, 8.8 (3.27), trunk lid, 3 wheels (pony), tail lights, dash, console, door panels, and possibly front suspension is fine. The rest of the body is junk. I looked at a mustang salvage web site and estimated a price of $2500. I plan to tow the wreck to the summer carlisle, pa swap meet. Does $2000 seem like a fair asking price or is that to high? I really don't want to go through the agony of disassembling it to sell the pieces, I would prefer to sell it whole and let the next guy tear it apart :*(

·
Registered
521 Posts
wouldn't you be able to make more money by 'parting" the car out? ??? just a thought

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
They're going at auction for about $1000, more if they're low mileage or Cobras. An interesting thing going on: Guys in Canada are snatching these things up like crazy. Not sure if it has something to do with salvage laws, but they're pricing locals right out of the market. Two went here to the same guys in Canada for 2 grand and, get this, 15K for a totaled Saleen convert.

·
Registered
278 Posts
$2000 sounds a little high to me. I just bought an '88 GT, T-5, in good condition for $1400 here in Houston.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't sell it! Buy a Cobra kit from Factory Five and enjoy it even more.

Seriously though, the kit car guys search hard for cars like yours. I paid $1800 for a theft recovered '93 with 75,000 miles on it. It was hit fairly hard in the front and the head hole in the winshield looked pretty bad. The drive train and a butt load of other parts from the car now prowl the streets disguised as a '65 Shelby Cobra. Your car would make a great donor car as long as you keep the price reasonable.

Greg

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought my 89 LX at salvage for 1700.00 <rear damage> fixed it and I am now racing it,if it's hit that bad I wouldnt give them more than 1000.00 to 1200.00 just my opinion.

Jax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts