Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a silly request.

What I need is a small .062 Barrel Clip which hold on the ornament FORD letters on my '64. The kit I got from MAC's came with clips which had a rubber cap on them and I was clumsy enough to lose one.

MAC's cannot get me a replacement clip with the rubber - all they carry are the plain metal units. I've tried Dennis Carpenter, Dearborn, Greg Donohue, etc.

Do any of you have an extra .062" clip with the rubber cap on it?

It looks like this:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Got a Ford store nearby? Especially an older one, and/or one which still has a body shop (those are going by the wayside every year). I spent half my life working in a Ford dealership back shop and this style of barrel clip came in a little packet inside the molding 'wrapper' back in the day. They would often fall out of packaging and be on our partsroom floor like unpopped popcorn, lol.

Often, the parts dept had a back counter for the body men to draw parts and small hardware from, or the body shop itself had it's own nut & bolt bins. My bet is that if you go to one, you'll hit the mother lode!
If no Ford...or even GM dealer, just try an older established body shop (not a Maaco, etc) nearby, these were used by many makes, Most body men have at least one drawer in their toolbox absolutely stuffed with clips.
Sorry I don't have any body clips, I'm not a shop and my car's body is already done.
good luck! Norm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot, well thanks anyways for the reply and advice.

I'll keep on searching :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Got a Ford store nearby? Especially an older one, and/or one which still has a body shop (those are going by the wayside every year). I spent half my life working in a Ford dealership back shop and this style of barrel clip came in a little packet inside the molding 'wrapper' back in the day. They would often fall out of packaging and be on our partsroom floor like unpopped popcorn, lol.

Often, the parts dept had a back counter for the body men to draw parts and small hardware from, or the body shop itself had it's own nut & bolt bins. My bet is that if you go to one, you'll hit the mother lode!
If no Ford...or even GM dealer, just try an older established body shop (not a Maaco, etc) nearby, these were used by many makes, Most body men have at least one drawer in their toolbox absolutely stuffed with clips.
Sorry I don't have any body clips, I'm not a shop and my car's body is already done.
good luck! Norm
Know what ya mean. I remember many places like that , gone now. The speed shop owner where I goto is 71 years old. I has been collecting for over 50 years. I have not asked for anything as of yet they say....It is up stairs or on the shelf. The got a big thing they call a tree that spins around with anything in there , just gota hunt, bolts , nuts and so forth. They use to sell anything from the sixty era. Up there is any kind of old rims, side pipes still new in boxes, all kinds of headers, 2 /4 intakes and carbs for fe motors still in boxes. I just love to sit in there and look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^

You got a .062 (1/16th) barrel clip with rubber on it from NAPA?

I'll have to check it out!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Know what ya mean. I remember many places like that , gone now. The speed shop owner where I goto is 71 years old. I has been collecting for over 50 years. I have not asked for anything as of yet they say....It is up stairs or on the shelf. The got a big thing they call a tree that spins around with anything in there , just gota hunt, bolts , nuts and so forth. They use to sell anything from the sixty era. Up there is any kind of old rims, side pipes still new in boxes, all kinds of headers, 2 /4 intakes and carbs for fe motors still in boxes. I just love to sit in there and look.
Ahh, sounds like that place is right up my alley too. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Shoot, well thanks anyways for the reply and advice.

I'll keep on searching :)
You're most welcome!

I had a little research time tonight and dug up the Ford p/n for that clip, and also 'ran' it for fun. Only a few mentions of it from Mustang places mainly, and one on rearcounter. P/N = 378362-S102

Give it a whirl and see.....

Another thought is to put a small dab of clear silicone on a 'plain' barrel clip, wait a bit to let it half-cure, then push it in followed by the letter. Letting the silicone 'skin over' will allow it to act as a little pillow -just as that rubber tip once did. Wipe up your excess with some mineral spirits and voila.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P/N = 378362-S102
That's awesome. The 102 on the end must designate the sealer. MAC's number is just 378362-S. A quick google search of "buy 378362-S102" came up with a couple sources.

Success!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
751 Posts
That's awesome. The 102 on the end must designate the sealer. MAC's number is just 378362-S. A quick google search of "buy 378362-S102" came up with a couple sources.

Success!

Thanks again.
Without going into Ford part number minutiae, and if you're dead set on buying this online --> Call Mac's (or whomever you go with) and verify that you're getting the one with 'sealer'. Many times manufacturers 'reinterpret' parts and things change, thus why you are finding ones w/o sealer as well. Part of the 'fun' of old car renovating is acquiring the knowledge of which part can be 'fudged' and which really can't (or better yet, shouldn't!). As you are probably keenly aware of.:)
I too feel that this hunt-for-the-right-clip shouldn't be thaat tough, -just try some local parts houses that have a decent body clip assortment from companies like: Au-Ve-Co, Dorman, Curtis, etc.... Take an example with ya in a little baggy. Buying a clip online (unless you're already buying other items) will cost you, at the least, the minimum s/h charge, ugh!

Norm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts