Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
anudder troll? I saw the post earlier and was ok go find ya one... dagnabbit ppl, sometimes they just dont think... I've heard of the X block, but cant remember what the deal was with it...

(its the same ****ty looking mig welded looking letter)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am looking at buying a 428 engine and it has an X scratched on the rear of the block.I have read where they had a C or an A but not an X.Thanks for any help.
From what I have read the X scratched blocks came after the C scratch version, and were often service blocks. There was also the CX industrial blocks around the same time. Check the cast date and it will probably be 70 or later.

Some of the later blocks can be much stronger than the earlier versions, but like with all FE blocks you won't know until you have it sonic checked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I didn't ask a question I don't have any numbers yet I just thought that there might be someone on here that had aw a block with an x on the block.When I get the casting numbers I will add them.Thanks

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Xis like the c . Some sayc or x is the cobra jet and the A is the 428 liter. Forget all the letters for they are just aweld for the assembly line worker to put what rotating assy in what blocks.

The 428 7 liter say that came is 66 galaxies and such most times had the H heads which came on 390sand 427 as a low riser , not much of a hp engine top half. That 428 can be addified by the 428 risen numbers in the water jacket on passenger side second from the front. Came with a U1 crank as probably the lowest horse power 428 with external weight on front of the crank as extrenal ballance.

Next ya got the 428 as the cobra jet some say with the C letter weld on back as the cobrajet to know as a cobra jet,come with the external ballancer some call a cookie cutter shape ballencer which again as I know of no reflection to the c weld on back but can fauther sujest as the cj block basicallysame as the super cobra jet with the large throw weight on front of crank which is externally ballanced. The cobra jet and super cj had different rods and a better piston known as lamons rods . I have readnot much dif between these 2 engines excelpt the rods and pistons. The better cj had the Ua crank. Both the cj and scj blocks came out about the time the government was making car manufactors place the5 first didgets of the serial numbers to be stamped on back of blocks to reflect to the car it came in. The true cj and scj blocks will be the only fe engine with these numbers stamped into blocks to set those 2 dif to addinify from the 7 liter standard 428. Those 5 didgets are easy to find but hard to read. They are found on drivers side back of block just below the head on the half moon raised plate with the engine out . Get some gas on a wrag and rub the paint offat taht spot youcan see the 5 first letters and numbers ingraved there very small. You can use a flash light and a mirror if engine is in car still at that location. The date code on all 3 blocks are located I beleive right under the oil filter adaptor witch where you would screw the oil filter to.

All blocks can be show their thickness as to which is the thicker better strongest block by pushing a weld rod or a drill bit between the cylinder walls. Someone will post the size of that bit I think a 16/32s . All the fe engine blocks can be a mix up very easy unless you know the date codes of when each engine was at date of the first manufactor date. The cj and scj was early 1968 month of july but some rarlywas sold untill 1969 . Blocks made before that date was the standard 428 or police interceptor blocks and easy to mix up between the 390 blocks. 390 blocks were as well some good thick blocks at time better than a 428, there again refer to the rod between the cylinder walls.

My opinion if looking for a great block to stand the more horse power to build will be the industral blocks with the screw in freeze plugs. Most of those can be found running as a water pump say to pump water out of ponds . Another 428 with screw in freeze plugs will be used in a boat rated at 300 hp and again also is a good think block but thats about all is worth anything for 2 engines most times sat side by side with one crank as a clock wise and other and as a counter clock wise , cannot be used for a high hp engine to build. My opinion the best block if not looking for a cj or scj block will be the industrial block. The water pump 428 is rarely found for I have seen only 1 and we still have it. Ford did make the gasket set for replacement for that engine , we have that as well, again hard to find.

The info I have typed came from reading to make your own opinion the writing stated but we have all these blocks and also have the cj as well as scj with the stamped numbers and letters I stated in location as I have typed them to be there.

If who has read this far and disagree with what I have typed I am not here to argue but only to descuse what I have typed to be able to learn from what I know as to what I beleiver as to be as close to truth as I have stated and am willing to talk about all of these blocks. I am sure I have made a mistake somewhere above for my thinking is old learned and mostly gathered from the blocks we have and being screwd at swap meets at a next time buyer to get smarter on what we may run accross .

To learn about each of the fe engines type a serch for 428 in google and not only will you be able to read the info but also pictures there for your pleasure to show .

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I stated below the marine blocks were good think blocks but I said they were not good to build for a hp block but they are . I was talking about what was inside not good for a high hp build but the blocks are .They have the screw in freeze plugs

·
Registered
419 Posts
Xis like the c . Some sayc or x is the cobra jet and the A is the 428 liter. Forget all the letters for they are just aweld for the assembly line worker to put what rotating assy in what blocks.

The 428 7 liter say that came is 66 galaxies and such most times had the H heads which came on 390sand 427 as a low riser , not much of a hp engine top half. That 428 can be addified by the 428 risen numbers in the water jacket on passenger side second from the front. Came with a U1 crank as probably the lowest horse power 428 with external weight on front of the crank as extrenal ballance.

Next ya got the 428 as the cobra jet some say with the C letter weld on back as the cobrajet to know as a cobra jet,come with the external ballancer some call a cookie cutter shape ballencer which again as I know of no reflection to the c weld on back but can fauther sujest as the cj block basicallysame as the super cobra jet with the large throw weight on front of crank which is externally ballanced. The cobra jet and super cj had different rods and a better piston known as lamons rods . I have readnot much dif between these 2 engines excelpt the rods and pistons. The better cj had the Ua crank. Both the cj and scj blocks came out about the time the government was making car manufactors place the5 first didgets of the serial numbers to be stamped on back of blocks to reflect to the car it came in. The true cj and scj blocks will be the only fe engine with these numbers stamped into blocks to set those 2 dif to addinify from the 7 liter standard 428. Those 5 didgets are easy to find but hard to read. They are found on drivers side back of block just below the head on the half moon raised plate with the engine out . Get some gas on a wrag and rub the paint offat taht spot youcan see the 5 first letters and numbers ingraved there very small. You can use a flash light and a mirror if engine is in car still at that location. The date code on all 3 blocks are located I beleive right under the oil filter adaptor witch where you would screw the oil filter to.

All blocks can be show their thickness as to which is the thicker better strongest block by pushing a weld rod or a drill bit between the cylinder walls. Someone will post the size of that bit I think a 16/32s . All the fe engine blocks can be a mix up very easy unless you know the date codes of when each engine was at date of the first manufactor date. The cj and scj was early 1968 month of july but some rarlywas sold untill 1969 . Blocks made before that date was the standard 428 or police interceptor blocks and easy to mix up between the 390 blocks. 390 blocks were as well some good thick blocks at time better than a 428, there again refer to the rod between the cylinder walls.

My opinion if looking for a great block to stand the more horse power to build will be the industral blocks with the screw in freeze plugs. Most of those can be found running as a water pump say to pump water out of ponds . Another 428 with screw in freeze plugs will be used in a boat rated at 300 hp and again also is a good think block but thats about all is worth anything for 2 engines most times sat side by side with one crank as a clock wise and other and as a counter clock wise , cannot be used for a high hp engine to build. My opinion the best block if not looking for a cj or scj block will be the industrial block. The water pump 428 is rarely found for I have seen only 1 and we still have it. Ford did make the gasket set for replacement for that engine , we have that as well, again hard to find.

The info I have typed came from reading to make your own opinion the writing stated but we have all these blocks and also have the cj as well as scj with the stamped numbers and letters I stated in location as I have typed them to be there.

If who has read this far and disagree with what I have typed I am not here to argue but only to descuse what I have typed to be able to learn from what I know as to what I beleiver as to be as close to truth as I have stated and am willing to talk about all of these blocks. I am sure I have made a mistake somewhere above for my thinking is old learned and mostly gathered from the blocks we have and being screwd at swap meets at a next time buyer to get smarter on what we may run accross .

To learn about each of the fe engines type a serch for 428 in google and not only will you be able to read the info but also pictures there for your pleasure to show .
Sorry, I have to ask...Were you drunk when you wrote this? Half of that I couldn't understand, and the other half was incorrect.

Good article on CJ blocks here, although it doesn't cover the X or CX industrial blocks. It will clear up some of what you just wrote.

Cylinder Block | Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sorry, I have to ask...Were you drunk when you wrote this? Half of that I couldn't understand, and the other half was incorrect.

Good article on CJ blocks here, although it doesn't cover the X or CX industrial blocks. It will clear up some of what you just wrote.

Cylinder Block | Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Lol, no I donot drink nor ever intend to, What part did you not understand ? Orwhat part did I type wrong. If you yourself knows about the 428 then you should know about the different blocks there is. Also if you have or mean to purchuse a real cj,scj block for a car you will make sure you know which to buy . The correct one is with the numbers on back or do you not know where they are? As well the first cj was stumbled apon from and built by Tulsa ford inspired by popular hot rod insisting they build the said engine. I have ran 428s and 427s all my life and now between shop and I we have over 42 engines . I said I was not here to argue but you say I am incorrect then post what part for I could be wrong but donot think so, maybe alittle off on dates. The letters are inside water jackets, 5 didgets are there, Say5 or 6 dif 428s and if you donot ballance each to the crank it will shimmy and shake , have to ballance each to what each engine is from crank.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Good to see ya Gator, how ya been ? If engine is a complete engine it is easy to tell what it is by dif ways. Although a complete engine could have been reworked at some point in time gather the dates, ,look at the webs and go from there. All will have signs of what each blocks are.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dunno, truth or dare. I am gonna say something that I hope isnt out of line BUT to the poster that cant read R's post, he is typing one handed, so he isnt into proper sentence structure at the moment. Its tuff enuff for him to even post. I had to back up a couple times myself, but is no big deal to me. As I said I dont know if the post is gospel or not, havent done the research to prove or dis-prove.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Lol, no I donot drink nor ever intend to, What part did you not understand ? Orwhat part did I type wrong. If you yourself knows about the 428 then you should know about the different blocks there is. Also if you have or mean to purchuse a real cj,scj block for a car you will make sure you know which to buy . The correct one is with the numbers on back or do you not know where they are? As well the first cj was stumbled apon from and built by Tulsa ford inspired by popular hot rod insisting they build the said engine. I have ran 428s and 427s all my life and now between shop and I we have over 42 engines . I said I was not here to argue but you say I am incorrect then post what part for I could be wrong but donot think so, maybe alittle off on dates. The letters are inside water jackets, 5 didgets are there, Say5 or 6 dif 428s and if you donot ballance each to the crank it will shimmy and shake , have to ballance each to what each engine is from crank.
Ok, just a few things. Like I said in my first post, X is usually a service block cast after the production 428CJ had ceased.

The A, C, X, CX, or any other combination was not welded on the block. The letter itself was scratched into the sand mold before it hit the line to help them identify the 428 blocks, as they used the same external casting numbers. Unfortunately the guys on the line were also notorious for using the wrong external mold, so you can have some early A scratch blocks as 390s with thin cylinders.

The A scratch was usually an early 428 block, used in both passenger cars as well as the 67-early 68 428PI used in the GT-500. All of the PI versions had the webbed main supports, where the passenger car versions usually didn't. Also keep in mind that the earliest 428PI was a solid lifter engine, but they also had a separate casting number.

The C scratch started in mid 67 as they began to phase out the A scratch blocks. I can confirm that they were cast before long before the Cobra Jet was released, as I have a June of 1967 block in the garage. I can also confirm that they were used in passenger cars as well, as a few months ago I pulled one from a stock 1968 Galaxie Q code. It had an early Dec of 67 cast date, when the CJ was just starting to be built. All C scratch 428s had the webbed main supports.

All 428s were external balance. The 1U, or 1UB crank was used in the standard passenger car version, as well as the Cobra Jet. They used an external balance flywheel or flex plate, but did not use the cookie cutter behind the balancer. The SCJ used the 1UA crank, and was the only 428 that was external balanced at both the front and rear of the engine, using a specific flywheel as well as the cookie cutter hatchet at the front. The SCJ also used Le Mans rods, and pistons with a different part number, although they were basically the standard CJ piston. The CJ and SCJ used the same blocks.

As far as having a partial VIN stamped on the block, it is actually 8 digits. First the year, then the assembly plant, and then the last 6 of the vin. This was done on all cars starting in 68, therefore having a partial vin does not verify that it is a CJ block. Another note, this was not done across the board, and many slipped through without the vin, or with it unreadable.

The drill bit test you referenced is a good start, but any performance build with an FE should be sonic tested, even more so if it requires being bored. Like alot of FE blocks, core shift can be pretty bad, leaving one side of the cylinder too thin for performance use. I have seen A scratch blocks that could not be safely bored more than .015", and I've seen C and CX blocks that would safely bore to 4.23". The only way to know for sure is to sonic test the cylinders. Even 1 thin cylinder can make or break a build.

I'm not here to argue either. In the past year I've had 5 different 428s, along with a bunch of other 390s and 427s. I do not claim to know everything, but everything I just wrote I have seen for myself or can be documented.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts